Ile-de-France, an old province of France, having Paris for capital, and now mostly comprised in the deps. of Seine, Seine-et-Oise, Aisne, Seine-et-Marne, Somme, and Oise. Ile-de-France was the former name of Mauritius.
Iletzk, a town in the Russian government of Orenburg, near the confluence of the Ilek with the Ural. Pop. 9769. Close by is the richest salt-bed in Russia, Ilford, a town of Essex, on the Roding, 3 1/2 miles ENE. of Stratford. Pop. (1901) 41,234.
Ilfracombe (Il'fra-coom), a watering-place of North Devon, is finely situated on a cove of the Bristol Channel, 11 miles NNW. of Barnstaple (15 by a branch-line). Its air ' combines the soft warmth of South Devon with the bracing freshness of the Welsh mountains' (Charles Kingsley). This and its fine rocky coast-scenery and admirable sea-bathing annually attract large numbers of visitors. On the north side of the good harbour there is a lighthouse, the light, 127 feet above high-water, being visible for 10 miles. In the 14th century it was a port of some consequence, and contributed six vessels to the siege of Calais. Population, 8700.
Ilhavo, a Portuguese town, 40 miles S. of Oporto. Near it are the glass and porcelain works of Vista Alegre. Pop. 12,600.
Ili. See Kulja.
Ilkeston, a market-town of Derbyshire, near the Erewash River, 9 miles ENE. of Derby, and 20 S. of Chesterfield. It enjoys repute from its alkaline spring and baths (opened in 1830). The parish church, with a lofty pinnacled tower, has interesting Norman and Early English features. The town-hall was built in 1868. Ilkeston has manufactures of hosiery, lace, silk, and earthenware, with coal and iron mines in the vicinity. In 1251 a charter for holding a market and fair here was granted to Hugh Fitz-Ralph ; and in 1887 Ilkeston was incorporated as a municipal borough. Pop. (1861) 3330 ; (1881) 14,122 ; (1901) 25,383.
Ilkley, a watering-place in the West Riding of Yorkshire, on the Wharfe, among heathery hills, 13 miles NNW. of Bradford and 16 NW. of Leeds by a branch-line (1865). Since 1846 it has become the seat of several hydropathic establishments - Ilkley Wells House, Ben-Rhydding (q.v.), etc. It occupies the site of a Roman station, and in the churchyard are three curious Saxon crosses; whilst Bolton Abbey (q.v.) is 5 miles north-west. Pop. (1851) 811; (1901) 7455.
Ille-et-Vilaine, a maritime French dep., formed out of the north-eastern portion of the old province of Brittany. Area, 2596 sq. m. ; pop. (1872) 589,532; (1901) 611,477, mostly of Celtic race. It is watered chiefly by the Vilaine and its tributary the Ille, which unite near Rennes. - The dep. is divided into six arrondissements - Rennes (the capital), Fougeres, Montfort, St Malo (the chief seaport), Vitre, and Redon.