Indianap'olis, the capital of Indiana, on the west fork of White River, in a level plain, 195 miles SSE. of Chicago by rail. It is a regularly-built and beautiful city. Its streets, many of them 100 feet wide, for the most part cross at right angles; but four main avenues, radiating from a central park, cross the others diagonally. The principal buildings include a handsome new state capitol (1888), a fine county court-house, a city-hall, the PropylAeum (a women's literary institute), asylums for the insane, blind, etc, besides an imposing monument to those who fell in the civil war. Indianapolis is a great railway centre, fifteen main lines converging here. The trade in agricultural produce is very considerable. Pork-packing is the leading industry, but there are also large flour and cotton and woollen mills, numerous foundries, and manufactories of furniture, carriages, tiles, etc. The site of Indianapolis, then covered with dense forest, was selected for the future capital in 1820, and the city was founded in 1821. Pop. (1860) 18,113; (1880) 75,056 ; (1890) 105,436 ; (1900) 169,164.