Indre, a French dep., formed principally out of the western portion of the old province of Berri, lies immediately south of the dep. of Loir-et-Cher. Area, 2623 sq. m. Pop. (1872) 277,693; (1901) 28S,788. The dep. is quite flat, and well watered by the Indre (which flows, from the dep. of Creuse, 152 miles north-westward to the Loire) and the Creuse. The dep. is divided into four arrondissements - Chateauroux (the capital), Le Blanc, Issoudun, and La Chatre.
Indre-et-Loire (Angdr-ay-Lwar), a dep. of France, formed chiefly out of the ancient province of Touraine, is crossed by the Loire from NB. to SW. Area, 2360 sq. m.; pop. (1872) 317,027; (1901) 335,541. The dep. is watered by the Loire and its tributaries, the Cher, Indre, and Vienne, all of them navigable. It is divided into the three arrondissements of Tours (the capital), Chinon, and Loches.
Ingleborough, a mountain (2373 feet) in the West Riding of Yorkshire, 8 miles NW. of Settle. On its south skirt is a splendid stalactite cave, penetrating nearly a thousand yards, and mainly-discovered in 1837.
Ingolstadt (called Aureatum and Chrysopolis-i.e. 'the golden city'), a fortified town of Bavaria, on the Danube's left bank, 53 miles by rail N. of Munich. It contains two castles of the former dukes of Bavaria-Ingolstadt (now used for military purposes); the Gothic church of Our Lady (1425); and the former Jesuit college. Brewing, cannon-founding, and the manufacture of gunpowder and salt are the only industries. Pop. 22,390, mostly Roman Catholics. A university founded here in 1472, reckoned Reuchlin among its professors, and a century after its foundation had 4000 students. It was removed to Land-shut in 1800, and to Munich in 1826. Ingolstadt was the first German town at which the Jesuits were permitted to teach publicly ; Loyola called it 'his little Benjamin.' Dating the 9th century, it was first fortified in 1539. In 1827 the fortifications, destroyed by the French in 1800, were restored upon a first-class scale, and have since been strengthened.
Inhamba'ne, the Portuguese capital of a district on the east coast of Africa, lies just south of the tropic of Capricorn, beautifully situated on its bay, but unhealthy. Pop. 2500, of whom only 70 were Europeans.
Inishail, an islet in Loch Awe, with remains of a nunnery. Here Mr Hamerton pitched his camp in 1857.
Inishmore, one of the Aran Islands (q.v.).
Inkermann, a village in the Crimea, situated near the eastern extremity of the harbour of Sebastopol. Here, on 5th November 1854, was fought the 'soldiers' Battle,'when 8000 British sustained a hand-to-hand fight against six times that number of Russians, till 6000 French came to their aid, and completed the rout of the enemy.