Inverness-shire, a Highland county, the largest in Scotland, and larger than any in England but Yorkshire, stretches from sea to sea, and has a total area of 4323 sq. m., of which 1284 belong to the Outer Hebrides - Skye, Harris, North and South Uist, Benbecula, Barra, Raasay, Eigg, St Kilda, and thirty-seven other inhabited islands. The mainland portion, measuring 85 by 55 miles, is intersected NE. and SW. by the Great Glen and the Caledonian Canal (q.v.). It includes Bade-noch, Glenroy, and the valley of the Spey on the east; Lochaber on the south; Glenelg, Glengarry, Arasaig, and Moidart on the west; Strath-glass on the north ; Glenurquhart and Glenmoris-ton towards the centre. It is truly a ' land of the mountain and the flood,' for it contains Ben Nevis (4406 feet), the highest point in Britain, with twenty-six other summits exceeding 3500 feet, whilst the chief of its rivers are the Spey, Ness, and Beauly, and of ninety good-sized lakes Lochs Ness, Archaig, Shiel, Lochy, Morar, Lag-gan, and Ericht. The west coast is indented by salt-water Lochs Hourn, Nevis, and Moidart. Only 4.6 per cent. of the whole area is in cultivation ; and 255 sq. m. are under wood, the rest being sheep-walks, deer-forests, moss, and barren heath, valuable only as grouse-moors. Sheep, numbering some 700,000, are the principal livestock ; and there are five deer-forests of 50 sq. m. and upwards. The rivers and lakes afford splendid fishing, The county returns one member to parliament. Inverness is its only town of any size ; Kingussie and Fort William, though police-burghs, 'are mere villages, as also are Beauly, Fort Augustus, and Portree. Pop. (1801) 72,672; (1841) 97,799; (1901) 90,674, or less than twenty-one inhabitants per square mile.