Kamchatka (Kam-tchatka ; Ger. Kamtschatka), a peninsula of eastern Siberia, stretches S. into the Pacific between Behring Sea on the B. and the Sea of Okhotsk. Area, 465,590 sq. m. The peninsula is long and narrow, terminating in a point only 7 miles distant from the northernmost of the Kurile Islands. A chain of volcanic mountains runs down the centre, and reaches 15,408 feet in Kojerevska and 16,9S8 in Kluchefskaya (in eruption in 1854 and 1885). Hot springs abound. The coast on the south-east is formed of rugged, precipitous cliffs. The principal river is the Kamchatka, which flows into the Pacific. The climate is colder than in corresponding latitudes in Europe, and very humid; grass and tree vegetation are consequently luxuriant. The principal occupations of the inhabitants are fishing and hunting. Kamchatka was annexed to Russia at the end of the 17th century. Pop. 6500, made up of Kamcha-dales, Koryaks, Lamuts, and a few Russians. The fort of Petropaulovsk (pop. 350), with a magnificent harbour covered with ice only a brief period of the year, is situated on the east coast. See works by Kennan (5th ed. New York 1879) and Guillemard (2 vols. 1887).