Kazbek, or Casbeck. See Caucasus.
Kazvin, or Casbin, a town of Persia, 95 miles NW. of Teheran. It manufactures brocade, velvet, cotton, and iron-ware, and has obtained a new commercial importance through the opening of the Transcaucasian Railway. Pop. 40,000.
Keady, a market-town, 8 miles SW. of Armagh. Pop. 1466.
Keeling (or Cocos) Islands, a group of more than a dozen coral atolls in the Indian Ocean, 500 miles SW. of Java, attached since 1886 to the Straits Settlements. They are covered with cocoa-nut palms, whence oil is extracted, and are inhabited by about 400 Malays, but owned by a Scotsman named Ross. These islands were discovered by Captain Keeling in 1609 and were visited by Darwin in 1836.
Keewa'tin, part of the country lying north of Manitoba. It is nominally administered by the lieutenant-governor of Manitoba, but is nearly uninhabited, except by Eskimos in the north. It embraces the northern part of Lake Winnipeg, and includes the mouth of the Saskatchewan River, which is navigable, except for a short distance, for nearly 1000 miles. The Nelson and Churchill rivers also pass through Keewatin; and Chesterfield Inlet, on the west side of Hudson Bay, penetrates nearly to its western boundary.
Keighley (Keethley), a market and 'manufacturing town in the West Riding of Yorkshire, on the Aire, amid the moorland scenery of the Brontes' country, 9 miles NW. of Bradford and 17 WNW. of Leeds. It has a parish church (rebuilt 1848), a Gothic mechanics' institute (1870-87), the Drake trade school (1713; rebuilt 1860), extensive water-works (1876), two public parks of 9 and 15 acres gifted in 1887-88 by the Duke of Devonshire and Mr J. Lund, and important manufactures of worsted and woollen goods, worsted-spinning machinery, and sewing and washing machines. Keighley was constituted a municipal borough in 1882. Pop. (1851) 13,050; (1901) 41,563. See R. Holmes, Keighley, Past and Present (1858).