Kei Islands. See Key:
Keiss, a Caithness fishing-village, 7f miles N. by W. of Wick. Pop. 341.
Kelat (also Khelat and Kalat), the capital of Beluchistan, stands at an elevation of more than 7000 feet, in 28o 52' N. lat. and 66° 33' E. long. It was occupied by England (1839-41); and in 1877 a treaty was concluded with the khan, by which a British agent, with military escort, became resident. Pop. 14,000. - Kelat-i-Ghilzai is a fortress of Afghanistan, 75 miles NE. of Kandahar.
Kelati Nadiri, a strong natural fortress in the Persian province of Khorassan, close to the Russian frontier of Transcaspia.
Kells (anc. Kenlis), a town of County Meath, on the Blackwater, 26 miles by rail W. of Drogheda. Interesting antiquities are St Columba s house, a round tower, and three or four stone crosses. Kells was in 807 made the seat of a bishopric, united to Meath in the 13th century. Prior to the Union it returned two members. Pop. 2427.
Kelung. See Formosa.
Kempten, a town of Bavaria, 54 miles by rail S. by E. of Ulm. The old town was made a free town of the empire in 1289 ; the new town grew up around a monastery (8th century) founded by disciples of St Gall. Cotton-spinning and weaving and the making of machines and hosiery are carried on. Pop. (1875) 12,682 ; (1900) 18,860.
Kendal, or Kirby Kendal, a market-town of Westmorland, on the Kent, 22 miles by rail N of Lancaster and 13 SW. of Ambleside. It is a gray straggling place, with an ancient Gothic church, a ruined castle (the birthplace of Catharine Parr), a town-hall (1828), and a grammar-school (rebuilt 1887). Flemings settled here in 1337, and the town became famous for its woollens and 'Kendal-green' buckram ; whilst Pococke in 1754 refers to its ' manufacture of a sort of frieze call'd cotton, at 8d. a yard, sold mostly for the West Indies, for the slaves.' Nowadays the industries include heavy textile fabrics, such as horse-cloths and railway rugs, besides leather, snuff, paper, etc. Incorporated as a municipal borough in 1575, Kendal returned one member to parliament from 1832 to 1885. Pop. (1851) 11,829; (1901) 14,183. See two works by C. Nicholson (1832-75).