Kerki, a town of central Asia, on the left bank of the Amu-Daria or Oxus, 120 miles S. of Bokhara city. An important place both commercially and strategically, it was occupied and garrisoned by Russia in 1887.
Kermadec Islands, a group of volcanic islands in the Pacific Ocean, 700 miles NE. from Auckland in New Zealand. It consists of four principal islands - Raoul or Sunday (7200 acres), Macaulay (756 acres), Curtis, and L'Esperance - and several smaller islands. The group was discovered in 1788, annexed by Britain in 1886, and in 1887 declared part of New Zealand. Pop. 8. See a work by S. Percy Smith (1887).
Kerman, or Karman (anc. Carmania), one of the eastern provinces of Persia, lying south from Khorassan. Area, 59,000 sq. m.; pop. 300,000. Kerman, the chief town, near the middle of the province, in the central mountain-range, contains a pop. of 70,000. In 1722 the Afghans destroyed it; in 1794 it was pillaged by Aga Mohammed, and 30,000 of the inhabitants made slaves. But the chief cause of the decline of Its trade was the fall of Gombroon, its port, before the rising prosperity of Bushire. At present it is only noted for the manufacture of the famous Kerman carpets, felts, and brass cups.
Kermanshah (also Karmanshah and Kirman-shaharn), a flourishing town of Persia, capital of Persian Kurdistan, near the right bank of the river Kerkhah. It manufactures carpets and weapons. Pop. 30,000.
Kertch, previous to being levelled with the ground by the allies in 1855 the most important port of the Crimea, is situated on the eastern shore of the peninsula, on the strait of Kaffa or Yenikale, which, 26 miles long and 3 to 25 wide, connects the Sea of Azov with the Black Sea. It still has an export trade to the extent of nearly £200,000 annually in grain, linseed, leather, fish, and caviare. Kertch, founded in the middle of the 6th century B.C. by Miletans, from 1318 to 1475 was a depdt of the Genoese, then came to the Turks, and finally, in 1771, to the Russians. Pop. with the neighbouring Yenikale, 30,500.
Kes'teven, The Parts of, the south-west division of Lincolnshire.
Keswick (Kezick), a market-town of Cumberland, near the confluence of the Greta and the Derwent, 16 miles NNW. of Ambleside, and by a branch-line (1865) 18 W. of Penrith junction, 36 SSW. of Carlisle. In its immediate vicinity are wooded Castle Head and beautiful Derwentwater, whilst to the north towers Skiddaw (3058 feet). A great tourist centre, it is a pleasant little place, with half-a-dozen hotels, a good public library, a recreation ground, a town-hall (1813), lead-pencil factories, Greta (q.v.) Hall, and a church (1839), besides the old church of Crosthwaite (q.v.), § mile N. Pop. (1851) 2618 ; (1901) 4451.