Kinder Scout, the highest summit (2080 feet) of the Peak district, Derbyshire.
Kinfare. See Kinver.
Kinfauns, a Gothic mansion (1322) of Perthshire, 3 miles E. by S. of Perth.
King Country. See Waikato.
King George's Sound, an inlet 5 miles north and south, and 5 miles broad, at the south-west angle of West Australia, which is an excellent roadstead, and contains two landlocked recesses, Princess Royal and Oyster Harbours.
Kinghorn, a royal burgh of Fife, on the Firth of Forth, 3 miles S. of Kirkcaldy by rail. It has shipbuilding-yards, a bleachfield, manufactures of flax and glue, and golf-links. Alexander III. was killed (1286) at Kinghorn Ness, and a monument was erected on the spot in 1887. Pop. 1550.
King's County, an inland county of Ireland, in Leinster, is separated on the W. by the Shannon from Roscommon and Galway. It is 20 miles long from N. to S. by 58 wide. Area, 493,985 statute acres, or 772 sq. m. Of this 23 per cent. is covered with bogs, including a large part of the Bog of Allen, and about 26 per cent. is under crops. Pop. (1841) 146,857 ; (1861) 90,013 ; (1901) 60,129, of whom 53.788 were Roman Catholics. The surface is flat, except for the Slieve Bloom Mountains (1733 feet) on the south boundary. The Grand Canal traverses the north of the county, and joins the Shannon. The river Barrow separates it from Queen's County on the south-east. King's County, constituted a shire in 1557, and named in honour of King Philip, returns two members. In the north-west is Clonmacnoise Abbey (q.v.); at Birr Castle Lord Rosse erected his great telescope. The chief towns are Tulla-more, Parsonstown or Birr, and Portarlington.
Kingsclere, a town of Hants, 9 miles NW. of Basingstoke. Pop. of parish, 2450.
King's Lynn. See Lynn.
Kingsmill Islands, another name for the Gilbert Islands (q.v.).
King's Seat. See Ochils.
Kingston-on-Hull. See Hull.