King-te-chin, the principal seat of porcelain manufacture in China, in the province of Chiang-hsi, on a small river which falls into Lake Po-yang from the east. Pop. 500,000.
King Williamstown, a town in the SE. of Cape Colony, on the Buffalo River, 80 miles ENE. of Grahamstown, and by rail (1877) 42 WNW. of East London, on the coast. It has considerable trade, military barracks and stores, and a college. Pop. 8226.
Kinnaird' Castle, the seat of the Earl of Southesk, 3 1/2 miles SE. of Brechin.
Kinnaird Head. See Fraserburgh.
Kinnoull Hill (Kin-nool'), a beautiful wooded eminence (729 feet) E. of Perth.
Kinross'-shire, the smallest Scotch county after Clackmannanshire, lies between Perthshire and Fife, and, measuring 9| by 12 1/4 miles, has an area of 78 sq. m., or 49,812 acres, of which 3327 are water. Most of the drainage belongs to Loch Leven (q.v.), from which the surface rises to encircling hills 734 to 1573 feet high. Nearly 63 per cent. of the surface is in cultivation, and 2733 acres are under wood. A separate county since 1252 and earlier, Kinross-shire unites with Clackmannanshire to return one member to parliament. Pop. (1801) 6725 ; (1851) 8924 ; (1901) 6980, of whom 2136 were in the county town, Kinross, 27 miles NNW. of Edinburgh, and near the west end of Loch Leven. Kinross House (1685-92) was designed by Sir William Bruce, the architect of the later portions of Holyrood. See Aeneas Mackay's History of Fife and Kinross (1890).
Kinsale', a municipal borough and seaport of County Cork, at the head of Kinsale Harbour, which is formed by the estuary of the river Bandon, 24 miles SSW. of Cork by a railway (1863). Down to the Union Kinsale returned two members; thenceforward one until 1885. Kinsale is much frequented by summer visitors. The harbour, landlocked, is about 2 miles long and 1/2 mile in average breadth. Formerly Kinsale was one of the most flourishing ports on the south of Ireland ; but its trade has been ruined by its more successful rivals Cork and Queenstown. Valuable fisheries are carried on. On the Old Head of Kinsale stands a lighthouse whose light, 236 feet above high-water, is visible 21 miles. Pop. (1851) 5506 ; (1901) 4250. In 1601, 3000 Spaniards landed at Kinsale to fight for the O'Neill confederacy. Here James II. landed on 12th March 1689, and here he re-embarked in July 1690.