Kremenchug, a town of Russia on the Dnieper, 74 miles by rail SW. of Pultowa. From 1765 to 1789 it was the chief town of New Russia ; it is now the seat of great industrial activity, especially in wool, timber, and tobacco, and of factories for agricultural machines, leather, tobacco, candles, etc. Pop. 58,000.
Kremlin. See Moscow.
Kreuznach (Kroitz'nahh), a town of Rhenish Prussia, dating from the 9th century, on the Nahe, 35 miles by rail SSE. of Coblenz. Its chief manufacture is champagne; but it is most notable for its hot salt-springs (50° to 90° F.), attracting over 5000 visitors annually. Pop. 21,404.
Krishna. See Kistna.
Kronenberg, a town of Rhenish Prussia, 4 miles S. of Elberfeld. Pop. 9958.
Kuban, a river of Caucasia, giving name to a province (area, 39,277 sq. m. ; pop. 1,922,800).
Kuch Behar. See Behar.
Kuen-Lun, a great snow-clad mountain-chain of central Asia, which forms the northern wall of the Tibetan plateau, as the Himalayas do the southern. Starting from the Pamir plateau (82° E. long.), the Kuen-Lun curves eastward to 94o E. long., its width varying from 100 to 150 miles. The peaks are 18,000 to 25,000 feet high, and the passes 13,000 to 18,000 feet.
Kuilenburg. See Culenborg.
Kuka, or Kukawa. See Bornu.
Kulja, a town of Zungaria, central Asia, stands on one of the great highways leading from China to West Turkestan, and on the Hi, which flows 750 miles from the Tian-Shan Mountains to Lake Balkhash. Kulja (pop. 12,500) is the chief town of a fertile district (Kulja or Hi), which revolted against China in 1865, was occupied by Russia in 1871, but ten years later restored to China, except 4300 sq. m. now incorporated in Semiretchensk. The Chinese province has an area of 23,130 sq. m. and a pop. of 70,000. New Kulja, 25 miles W. of Kulja, was destroyed by the rebels in 1866; it then had 75,000 inhabitants.