Kustendji, or more properly since 1878 Con-stanza, a seaport in the Dobrudja, Roumania, stands on the Black Sea, at the end of Trajan's Wall and of the railway to Tchernavoda on the Danube. Pop. 12,800. Not far distant was Tomi, the place of Ovid's banishment.
Kwando, or Chobe. See Zambesi.
Kwango, a tributary of the Congo.
Kwanza. See Coanza.
Kwilu, a river of the French West African colony Gaboon, rises near the Lefimi, and reaches the Atlantic north of Loango.
Kyle, the central district of Ayrshire.
Kyleakin. See Skye.
Kyles of Bute. See Bute.
Kyoto, Miako, or Saikio, from 784 a.d. to 186S the capital of Japan, on the Kamo River, 26 miles inland from Ozaka. At the N. end are situated, in an enclosure, the plain wooden buildings where the emperors of Japan dwelt so long in seclusion. The Honganji temples of the Monto sect of Buddhists, the centre of the Buddhist faith in Japan, rise at the S. end of the city. The singing-girls of Kyoto are noted for their graceful dances. The pottery, porcelain, enamels, inlaid bronze-work, crapes, velvets, and brocades of Kyoto are highly esteemed. Pop. (1884) 255,403 ; (1892) 297,527; (1900) 354,230.
LAALAND, or Lolland, a flat and fertile Danish island, at the southern entrance to the Great Belt, 36 miles long by 9 to 15 broad. Area, 445 sq. m. ; pop. 72,000. The capital is Maribo (pop. 2403) ; the largest town, Nakskov (pop. 6278).
Labuan, an island 30 sq. m. in area, 6 miles from the NW. coast of Borneo. It has a good harbour (Victoria), and an extensive bed of excellent coal. It became British in 1846, and since 1891 is administered by the British North Borneo Company. Pop. 8500;
Laccadives (Sansk. Laksha Dwipa, 'the Hundred Thousand Islands'), a group of fourteen coral islands in the Arabian Sea, between 10° and 14° N. lat., and 200 miles W. of the Malabar coast. Area, 744 sq. m. ; population, 15,500, Mohammedans of Hindu descent. They are low and flat, and all but two are comparatively barren. The cocoa-nut is the chief plant, and coir (cocoa-nut fibre) the staple product. The group was discovered by Vasco da Gama in 1499.