Lachlan, an Australian river, a tributary of the Murrumbidgee, which flows to the Murray.
La Crosse, capital of La Crosse county, Wisconsin, stands on the Mississippi, at the mouth of La Crosse River, and at the junction of six railways, 195 miles by rail WNW. of Milwaukee. It has a Roman Catholic cathedral, and manufactures of farming-implements, engines and boilers, sashes and blinds, etc, besides large lumber-mills, iron-foundries, and breweries. Pop. (1870) 7785 ; (1900) 28,895.
Ladakh', one of the outlying governorships of Cashmere, in the valley of the Upper Indus, and behind the great central range of the Himalayas. The Ladakhis, some 30,000, are of Turanian stock and Buddhists in religion. The capital is Leh.
Ladismith, (1) a village of 800 (named from a colonial governor's wife), in Cape Colony, at the southern base of the great Zwarte Bergen, 70 miles inland from Aliwal South. - A larger place is distinguished from it as Ladysmith (q.v.).
Lado, a station on the left bank of the White Nile, in 8° 5' N. lat., established by Gordon in 1875. The Lado enclave, over which Britain has sovereign rights, but through which it has leased to the Congo State certain rights of access to the Nile, extends from the river on the east to 30° E. long. on the west, the Congo boundary on the SW., and 8° 50' N. lat. on the north.
Lad'oga, Lake, the largest lake of Europe, a little N. of St Petersburg, on the Finnish frontier. It is 129 miles long and 78 broad. The lake receives the waters of Lakes Onega and Ilmen in Russia, and of Lake Saima and other lakes in Finland ; and its own waters are carried off to the Gulf of Finland by the Neva (q.v.). The average depth does not exceed 300 feet, except in the NW. (730 feet). The navigation is exceedingly dangerous owing to shallows and sunken rocks. Of the canals connected with it the chief is the Ladoga Canal (70 miles long and 60 feet wide). This canal-system forms the thoroughfare for a very extensive traffic between the Volga and the Baltic. Two of the islands in the northwest, Valaam and Konevetz, have monasteries (founded 900 and 1393) much visited by pilgrims.
Ladrones, or Mariana Islands, a group of fifteen islands in the western Pacific, north of the Carolines, in 13° - 21° N. lat. and 144° - 146° E. long., disposed In a row almost due north and south ; their united area is 420 sq. m. They were discovered by Magellan (1521), whose sailors called them the 'Thieves' (Ladrones) Islands;' in 1668 they received the name of Mariana Islands. A channel divides them into two groups. Most of the group are thickly wooded, and all are fruitful. Pop. 10,000. In 1898 Guam, the largest island (pop. 7000), was ceded by Spain to the United States, and in 1899 the remainder of the group were sold to Germany.