Lahore, capital of the Punjab, stands near the left bunk of the Ravi, 1080 miles NW. of Calcutta by rail. Pop. (1868) 125,413 ; (1901) 202,964, of whom 85,000 are Mussulmans. A railway centre, Lahore is surrounded by a brick wall 16 feet high. The fort occupies a commanding position to the north-east, and near it are the mosque of Aurungzebe and Runjeet Singh's tomb. The British civil station is called Anarkalli, and a broad road, the Mall, connects it with the government house and the Lawrence Gardens. Three miles farther is the dreary cantonment of Mian Mir. The flourishing Punjab University was largely endowed by native chiefs and gentlemen - Moslem, Sikh, and Hindu. There are also the Oriental College, Government College, Government Medical School, Mayo Hospital, Roberts Institute, and a good museum. Under the Mogul empire the city, which dates from the 7th century a.d., had a pop. of over 1,000,000. The remains of the magnificent buildings erected by the Mogul emperors are still considerable, as well as Jahangir's wonderful gardens at Shadra and Shalimar. In 1849 Lahore became the capital of the new British province of the Punjab (q.v.).