Lancaster Sound, a western outlet of Baffin Bay, first navigated by Parry in 1819.
Landau (Lan-dow), (1) a town of the Bavarian Palatinate, 11 miles W. of the Rhine and 17 SW. of Spires. In 1816 Bavaria became mistress of it; and in 1870-71 its fortifications were razed. Pop. 15,136. - (2) Another town of Bavaria, on the Isar, 72 miles NE. of Munich. Pop. 3165.
Landes (Longd), a dep. of southern France, one of the largest and most thinly peopled in the country, is bounded on the W. by the Bay of Biscay. Area, 3598 sq. m.; pop. (1876) 303,508; (1901) 291,657. The chief river is the Adour (navigable). The greater portion of the dep. consists of the landes, tracts of barren sand, interspersed with marshes and forests of pine and oak and cork. Much land has been rendered available by draining and planting with pines. The dep. is divided into the three arrondissements of Mont-de-Marsan (the capital), St Sever, and Dax.
Landsberg, a Prussian town, on the Warthe, 80 miles by rail NNE. of Berlin. Its industrial establishments include sawmills, machine-works, breweries, distilleries, etc. Pop. 33,600, Land's End. See Cornwall.
Landshut (Lands-hoote), a picturesque town of Upper Bavaria, on the Isar, 44 miles by rail NE. of Munich. Of its eleven churches, St Martin's (1477) has a steeple 436 feet high. The castle of Trausnitz (c. 1232) was partially restored in 1872-74. Landshut has manufactures of tobacco, beer, wagons, hats, etc. The Dominican monastery (1271) was the seat of the university, removed hither from Ingolstadt in 1800, and transferred to Munich in 1826. Here, on 16th April 1809, the Austrians drove back the Bavarians, but were in turn defeated by Napoleon five days later. Pop. 22,500.
Landskrona, a Swedish seaport, on the Sound, 16 miles NNE. from Copenhagen. A fortress down to 1870, it has a good harbour, and carries on sugar-refining, shipbuilding, and the manufacture of tobacco and leather. Pop. 14,633. Opposite lies the island of Hvem, on which Tycho Brahe built his observatory of Uranienborg.