Lazistan', a coast strip at the south-east corner of the Black Sea, partly Turkish, partly Russian, inhabited by the rough Lazes.
Leadgate, a mining-town of Durham, 2 1/2 miles ESE. of Shotley Bridge. Pop. 4660.
Leadhills, a village of Lanarkshire, the highest in Scotland (1300 feet), on Glengonner Water, 45 miles SSW. of Edinburgh. Allan Ramsay and Symington were natives. Lead has been mined here for six hundred years, the output ranging between 700 and 1800 tons. Pop. 835.
Leadville, a mining-town of Colorado, capital of Lake county, stands in a valley 10,200 feet above the sea, 70 miles (151 by rail) SW. of Denver. Its mines produce gold, silver, and lead. The town, which was incorporated in 1878, contains smelting-furnaces and stamp-mills. Pop. 12,500.
Leasowes. See Halesowen.
Leavenworth, a city of Kansas, the capital of Leavenworth county, on the Missouri River, 25 miles NW. of Kansas City by rail. First settled in 1854, it is now a handsome town, of broad avenues, and contains a Soldiers' Home, the state normal school, and large factories and mills. Eight lines of railway centre here, and the river is crossed by a fine iron bridge. Adjoining the city is Fort Leavenworth (1827), an important depot for troops and supplies, with large barracks, etc. Pop. 21,000.
Ledbury, a pleasant, old-fashioned market-town of Herefordshire, 13 miles ESE. of Hereford. It has an interesting church, Romanesque to Perpendicular in style, St Catharine's Hospital (1232 ; rebuilt 1822), and a clock-tower (1890) to the memory of Mrs Browning, who passed her girlhood here. Pop. 3300.