Lee Castle

Lee Castle, a Lanarkshire mansion, 3 miles NNW. of Lanark. It is the ancient seat of the Lockharts, with the ' Lee penny' talisman.

Leek

Leek, a manufacturing and market town of Staffordshire, on the Churnet, 13 1/2 miles SSE. of Macclesfield, and 24 NNE. of Stafford. The parish church, dating from 1180, but mainly Decorated in style, was restored by Street in 1867-75. There are also a grammar-school (1723), a cottage-hospital (1870), and, 1 1/2 mile distant, the ruined Cistercian abbey (1214) of Dieulacres (De la Croix). Leek, whose civic charter dates from the days of King John (1208), is the largest centre of silk-dyeing in England. Pop. (1851) 8877 ; (1901) 15,484. See works by Sleigh (2d ed. 1884) and M. H. Miller (1891).

Lee Priory a mansion in Kent

Lee Priory a mansion in Kent, on the Little Stour, 4 miles E. by S. of Canterbury. It was the seat of Sir Egerton Brydges.

Leer

Leer (Layr), a port in (Prussian) East Friesland, on the Leda, near its entrance to the Ems, 32 miles NW. of Oldenburg. Pop. 12,500.

Lees

Lees, a Lancashire village, 1 1/2 mile E. by S. of Oldham.

Leeuwarden

Leeuwar'den, capital of the Dutch province of Friesland, 113 miles by rail NNE. of Utrecht. It has a fine town-hall and law-courts, an old palace of the Princes of Orange, a library with valuable archives, and manufactures of linen fabrics, mirrors, pianofortes, and wagons, besides being a great fruit and cattle market. The population is about 34,000. In the 13th c. it stood on an arm of the sea, now sanded up.

Leeuwin

Leeuwin, Cape, the south-west corner of Australia, notable on account of the tempestuous weather usually encountered there.

Leeward Islands

Leeward Islands. See West Indies. Lefkosia. See Nicosia.

Legnago

Legnago (Len-ya'go), one of the four fortified towns of northern Italy known as the Quadrilateral, is on the Adige, 33 miles by rail SE. from Verona. The fortifications, razed by Napoleon in 1801, were rebuilt in 1815. Pop. 3500.

Leh

Leh. See Le.

Lehigh

Le'high, a river flowing 120 miles through B. Pennsylvania to the Delaware. Some of its scenery is very picturesque, but the valley is more famous for its anthracite coal-mines.

Leiden

Leiden. See Leyden.

Leigh

Leigh (Lee), a town of Lancashire, 21 miles NE. of Liverpool and 16 W. of Manchester. Silks and cotton goods are extensively manufactured; and there are also iron-foundries, breweries, malt-kilns, and glass-works, with neighbouring coalmines. Pop. (1861) 10,621 ; (1901) 40,000. See Worsley's History of Leigh (1870).

Leighlin

Leighlin (Lay'lin), a village of County Carlow, 71 miles SSW. of Dublin. It was the seat of a diocese, now united to Ossory and Ferns.

Leighton-Buzzard

Leighton-Buzzard (Lay'ton), a market-town of Bedfordshire, on the Ouse, 41 miles by rail NW. of London. Its fine cruciform church, mainly Early English, has a spire of 193 feet, and was restored in 1886; in the market-place is a pentangular cross; the corn exchange was built in 1862. Straw-plait is the staple industry. The suffix Buzzard is a corruption of Beaudesert or Bosard, a great family here in the 14th century. Pop. about 6500.