Leinster (Lens'ter), one of the four provinces of Ireland (q.v.), occupies the south-east portion of the country, comprising the counties of Carlow, Dublin, Kildare, Kilkenny, King's, Longford, Louth, Meath, Queen's, Westmeath, Wexford, and Wicklow.
Leiston (Lai/son), a town of Suffolk, 4 miles ESE. of Saxmundham by rail. It manufactures agricultural implements, and has a ruined abbey (1363). Pop. 3500.
Leit'meritz, an old town, partly walled, of Bohemia, at the head of steamboat navigation on the Elbe, 34 miles W. by N. of Prague. It has a cathedral (1671) and a town-house (1535). Brewing is the staple industry. Pop. 13,854.
Leitomischl, an old town of Bohemia, 85 miles ESE. of Prague. Pop. 8258.
Leitrim (Lee'trim), a county in the NE. of the province of Connaught, in Ireland. Its greatest length, north-east to south-west, is 51 miles ; its greatest width, 21 miles; and its area 588 sq. m., or 376,212 acres, of which 282,400 are arable, 11 per cent. barren, and 7 per cent. bog. The county touches the ocean on the north, and is divided into two parts by Lough Allen (q.v.), from which the Shannon forms the south-west boundary of the county. The southern division contains numerous small lakes. The northern division is intersected by several ridges. Leitrim is more a grazing than a tillage district, 53 per cent. of its area being grass-land. Coal is found in the Lough Allen basin ; and iron and lead ores are abundant, though little mined. The county town is Carrick-on-Shannon. Leitrim returns two members. Pop. (1841) 155,297 ; (1901) 69,201.
Leman, Lake. See Geneva (Lake of).
Le Mans. See Mans.
Lemberg (formerly Loivenburg; Polish Lwow), the capital of the Austrian province of Galicia and Lodomeria, is situated on a small tributary of the Bug, in a narrow basin among hills, 212 miles E. of Cracow. Pop. (1869) 87,109; (1905) 162,000. Several of thechurehes are fine buildings, as the Dominican, with its venerated image of the Virgin; the Greek cathedral (1740-79); the Gothic Roman Catholic cathedral (1350-1460); and the Armenian cathedral, dating from the 14th century. The university (1784; reorganised 1817) has nearly 1200 students and a library of 86,000 volumes and 470 MSS. Here also is the seat of the national institute (1817), with a library of 81,000 volumes and 3000 MSS., chiefly of Polish literature, and large collections of coins, paintings, etc. The manufactures embrace machinery, earthenware, oil, beer, etc. Founded in 1259, Lemberg was an important Polish city from 1340. It fell to Austria at the first partition of Poland.
Lemnos, a Turkish island, 40 miles SE. of Mount Athos, and 40 SW. of the Dardanelles. It is nearly split in two by two large bays on the south and north coasts. The interior consists of an undulating plateau. None of the hills exceed 1400 feet. Area, 180 sq. m. ; pop. 30,000, all Greeks, except 5000 Turks. In 1657 Lemnos passed to the Turks from the Venetians. The chief town is Kastro (anc. Myrina), on the W. coast; pop. 3000.