Liege (Lee-ayzh'; Ger. Luttich, Flemish Luik), a city of Belgium, at the confluence of the Ourthe with the Meuse, 62 miles by rail S. by E. of Brussels and 47 SW. of Aix-la-Chapelle. It consists of the old town, built on the hills that overlook the Meuse on the left, the new town, down below on the right bank, and several suburbs. It is a fine city, with elegant bridges, handsome squares and gardens, and fine churches and private houses. Its defences consist of a ring of modern forts and the citadel (1650) on the high ground on the Meuse's left bank. The old cathedral church, St Lambert's, was founded in 712, destroyed by the French republicans in 1794, and wholly removed In 1802. Since then St Paul's (968-1528) has been the church of the see. The former bishop's palace (1508-40) has been converted into law-courts. The university was founded in 1817, and has over 1200 students, and a library of 210,000 vols. Situated in the centre of the east Belgian coal-mining district, Liege is one of the first manufacturing cities in Belgium. Its great staple is firearms, of which it turns out annually large numbers. But manufactures of wool, leather, and iron-plates, together with breweries, and distilleries, give large employment. The government have here a cannon-foundry and a small-arms factory. At Seraing (q.v.), 4 miles distant, are the huge Cockerill Works. Pop. (1876) 115,851; (1900) 173,706, mostly Walloons. The Bishop of Maestricht transferred the see to Liege in 720; his successors became princes of the empire with the title of Dukes of Bouillon. The city was seized by Charles the Bold of Burgundy in 1467 and 1468, in 1691 by the French, in 1702 by Marlborough, and once more by the French in 1792. The Congress of Vienna assigned the city and its territories to the Netherlands; but in 1831 they were incorporated in the new kingdom of Belgium. - The province of Liege has an area of 1117 sq. m. and a pop. of 860,000.