Ligurian Republic, the name given by Bonaparte to the republic of Genoa (q.v.) in 1797, from Liguria, the ancient name of the region.
Lillebonne, a Norman town on the Bolbec, 28 miles WNW. of Rouen by rail. The Julia Bona of the Romans, it has remains of a Roman theatre, a 15th-century church, and a ruined castle of William the Conqueror. Pop. 5705.
Limasol, or Limassol (Gr. Lemisou), the chief seaport of Cyprus, though it has no harbour. There is a large trade in wine and carobs. Limasol is the only place in Cyprus where English troops are permanently quartered. Pop. 8388.
Limavad'y, a market-town, on the Roe, 16 miles NE. of Londonderry. Pop. 2696.
Limbach, a Saxon town, 10 miles WNW. of Chemnitz, manufactures hosiery. Pop. 12,494.
Limburg, a territory on the Meuse, lying between the provinces of Liege and Brabant. In 1839 it was finally re-divided, the lands to the west of the Meuse remaining with Belgium, whilst a long narrow strip on the east side was constituted the Dutch province of Limburg. The Belgian province has an area of 931 sq. m. and a pop. (1892) of 225,000. Capital, Hasselt. The area of the Dutch province is 850 sq. m.; pop. (1892) 261,853. Capital, Maestricht. - The well-known Limburg cheese is made at the little town of Limburg (pop. 4768), the former capital of the duchy, which is now in the province of Liege, 19 miles E. of the city of Liege. - Limburg-an-der-Lahn, a town of Hesse-Nassau, 32 miles E. of Coblenz, has a fine Catholic cathedral (Rhenish style, 1243) ; pop. 8485.
Limehouse, a Thameside parish of E. London.
Limfiord. See Denmark.
Limoges (Lee-mozh'), capital of the French dep. of Haute-Vienne, and of the former province of Limousin, is picturesquely situated on the Vienne, 248 miles S. by W. of Paris and 218 N. of Toulouse. Its Gothic cathedral was begun in the 13th century and completed in 1851. The manufacture of porcelain employs over 5000 people; and flannels, cotton, paper, etc. are also made. The enamel-work for which Limoges was formerly celebrated is now no longer carried on. There is a fine ceramic museum (1867). Pop. (1826) 48,862; (1905) 85,000. Limoges was an important town under the Romans, and is so still in spite of plagues, fires, and sieges (the worst that by the Black Prince in 1370).
Limpopo, Oori, or Crocodile River, rises in the heart of the Transvaal, and after a course of 800 miles, during which it describes a great curve northwards, falls into Delagoa Bay. Some 50 miles are navigable by steamer; the Olifant is the chief tributary.