Linares (Lee-na'res), a town of southern Spain, 90 miles by rail ENE. of Cordova, is celebrated for its mines of lead and copper, and has lead and iron foundries, gunpowder and dynamite factories. Pop. 35,229.
Lindisfarne. See Holy Island.
Lindores. See Newburgh.
Links of Forth. See Forth.
Linlithgow, an ancient royal burgh, the county town of Linlithgowshire, lies 16 miles W. of Edinburgh, near the southern shore of Linlithgow Loch, which, 150 feet above sea-level, covers 102 acres, and deepens westward from 10 to 50 feet. On a promontory, 66 feet high, stands the stately ruin of Linlithgow Palace, mostly rebuilt between 1425 and 1628, fired by Hawley's dragoons in 1746, and repaired in 1892. It was the birthplace of James V. and Mary Stuart. The neighbouring parish church of St Michael's (restored 1894-95) is a very good Decorated structure of mainly the 15th and 16th centuries ; within its south transept James IV. received the Flodden warning. Another event in Linlithgow's history was the murder of the Regent Moray. The Cross Well (rebuilt 1807) and the town-hall (1889) are also noteworthy. With Falkirk, etc, Linlithgow returns a member. Pop. (1S31)3187 ; (1901) 4279. See a work by Waldie (3d ed. 1879).
Linmouth. See Lynmouth.
Linnhe, Loch (Lin'nie), a sea-loch of Argyll and Inverness shires, extending 31 miles northeastward to Fort William, and 8 1/2 miles to 1 1/2 furlongs (at Corran Narrows) wide. The upper 9| miles are sometimes called Lower Loch Eil.
Linz (Lintz), capital of Upper Austria, on the right bank of the Danube (here crossed by an iron bridge 780 feet long), 117 miles by rail W. of Vienna. It has a splendid Gothic cathedral (1862-90), the old cathedral (1670), the bishop's palace, a museum, a library of 33,000 vols., etc. Its industries include the manufacture of woollen goods, tobacco, linen, leather, machinery, and shipbuilding. Pop. 59,560.