Linlithgowshire, or West Lothian, a Scottish county, washed on the north for 17 miles by the Firth of Forth, and elsewhere bounded by Edinburgh, Lanark, and Stirling shires. Its length south-westward is 22 miles, its average breadth 7 miles, and its area 127 sq. m. The only large streams are the Almond on the south-eastern, and the Avon on the western boundary; the principal eminences are Cairnnaple (1016 feet), Cockle-rue (912), Dechmont Law (686), and Glower-o'er-'em (559), the last with a monument to General Adrian Hope, who fell in the Indian Mutiny. Coal has been largely mined since the 12th century, as also are ironstone, fireclay, and shale for the manufacture of paraffin. Excellent sandstone is quarried at Binny. Of the whole area 73 per cent. is in cultivation; woods cover 4982 acres. Towns, noticed separately, are Linlithgow, South Queensferry, Bathgate, Bo'ness, and Broxburn; among the mansions are Hopetoun, Dalmeny, Dundas, and Kinneil; and the antiquities include prehistoric and Roman remains, the Romanesque church of Dalmeny, the castles of Barnbougle, Blackness, Niddry, etc, and the preceptory at Torphichen of the Knights of St John. The county returns one member. Pop. (1801) 17,844; (1841) 26,872; (1901) 65,708. See works by Sibbald (1710) and Small (1883).