Lip'ari Islands, known also as the Aeolian Islands, a volcanic group in the Mediterranean, off the N. coast of Sicily, NW. of Messina. It comprises six larger and numerous smaller islands, with an aggregate area of 116 sq. m. Many of the smaller islands form part of the rim of a gigantic crater. Stromboli (3022 feet) is almost constantly active, and Vulcano (1017 feet) intermittently ; the rest are extinct. The ancient classical poets localised in these islands the abode of the fiery god Vulcan - hence their ancient name, Vulcaniœ Insulœ?. Their collective pop. is 19,312, of whom 7542 belong to the island of Lipari (area, 32 sq. m.), the largest of the group. The warm springs are much resorted to, and the climate is delightful. Lipari, the chief town, is a bishop's see and a seaport; pop. 4968.
Lippe (Lip'pey), or Lippe-Detmold, a principality of northern Germany, lying between Westphalia on the W. and Hanover on the E. The Weser touches it on the N. and the Teutoburger Wald crosses it in the S. Area, 475 sq. m. ; pop. (1875) 112,442 ; (1900)139,238, mainly Protestants. Capital, Detmold (q.v.); other towns, Lentigo and Horn. The surface is hilly ; woods cover 28 per cent. Every spring some 12,000 of the inhabitants spread themselves over central Europe, even to south Russia, as brick-burners and tile-makers, returning home in autumn. The state is named from the Lippe river, a tributary of the Rhine, outside the present principality.
Lippstadt, a town of Prussia, on the Lippe, 30 miles E. by N. from Dortmund. It manufactures spirits, beer, cigars, brushes, ropes, iron, etc. Founded in 1168, it was captured by the Spaniards in 1620, and by the French in 1757. Pop. 13,504.
Lisburn, a town (since 1898 wholly) in Antrim, on the Lagan, 93 miles by rail N. by E. of Dublin, and 8 SW. of Belfast. The Conway family built a castle here in Charles I.'s time, and introduced the existing industries - manufactures of linens, damasks, muslins, etc, with flax-spinning and bleaching. Its parish church is the cathedral of Down, Connor, and Dromore, and contains a monument to Bishop Jeremy Taylor. Pop. (1851) 6569 ; (1901) 11,459.
Lisdoonvarna, a spa in County Clare, 9 miles N. of Ennistimon station, with one sulphurous and several chalybeate springs.
Lisieux (Lee-zi-yuh'; anc. Noviomagus Iexo-viorum), a town in the French dep. of Calvados, 30 miles by rail E. by S. of Caen. In the church of St Pierre (1045-1233 ; a cathedral down to 1801), Henry II. of England married (1152) Eleanor of Guienne. Lisieux is the centre of an extensive manufacture of coarse linens (cretonnes, from the original maker), woollens, flannels, cottons, etc. Population, about 16,000. Four miles distant is Val Richer, where stood the abbey of which Thomas Becket was first abbot; its ruins were restored as a summer residence for Guizot.