Liskeard (Lis'kard), a municipal borough in Cornwall, stands on steep hills overlooking the Looe, 18 miles WNW. of Plymouth. It has manufactures of leather and iron, and trade with the neighbouring mines. St Martin's Church, Perpendicular in style, is one of the largest in Cornwall, with a 14th-century tower. The town-hall (1859) is a good Italian building. A stannary or coinage town, Liskeard was made a free borough in 1250 by Richard, king of the Romans, who built a castle here. Till 1832 it returned two members (Coke and Gibbon the most illustrious), and then till 1885 one member. Pop. (1851) 4386 ; (1901) 4011. Two miles south is the famous spring of St Keyne (q.v.). See Allen's History of Liskeard (1856).
Lisnaskea, a town of Fermanagh, 11 miles SE. of Enniskillen. Pop. 773.
Lissa (Pol. Leszno), a Prussian town, 40 miles S. by W. of Posen, was during the 16th and 17th centuries the headquarters of the Bohemian Brethren in Poland : here were their most celebrated school, a seminary, a printing-office, and their archives. Pop. 15,000.
Lissa, a mountainous island of Dalmatia, in the Adriatic, 32 miles SW. of Spalato. Area, 40 sq. m. ; pop. 9871 - 4317 at the capital, Lissa, and the rest at Comisa, both seaports. Fishing is the chief occupation. The island was held by Great Britain 1810-15. Off it the Italian fleet was defeated by the Austrians in 1866.
Litany. See Lebanon.
Lithuania, a former grand-duchy, corresponding to the portion of Russia between the Baltic and the upper Dnieper (including Livonia, Cour-land, Kovno, Vilna, Grodno, Minsk, Mohilev, Smolensk, and Vitebsk). From the 14th century on it became closely associated with Poland (q.v.), with which it was finally united in 1569; in the 15th century it extended as far south as Odessa and the Sea of Azov, and as far east as the Moskva. The Lithuanians, a race to whom belong the Letts of Livonia, the Cours of Cour-land, and the Borussians or ancient inhabitants of East Prussia, constitute a main division of the Indo-European stock (akin to the Slavs), numbering some 3 1/2 millions in all.
Little Falls, a post-village of New York, 73 miles WNW. of Albany. The Mohawk River here passes through a narrow rocky gorge, with falls of 44 feet, giving water-power to several mills and factories. Pop. 10,500.
Littlemore, a hamlet 2 1/2 miles SSE. of Oxford, with associations (1828-43) with Newman.
Little Rock, the capital of Arkansas, on the south bank of the Arkansas River, 280 miles from its mouth, and 345 by rail SS W. of St Louis. It contains the state capitol, prison, and blind and deaf-mute asylums, a U.S. arsenal, a Roman Catholic cathedral, and a college founded by the Freemasons in 1857. Pop. (1880) 13,138 ; (1900)38,300.