Livingstone, a township near the Victoria Falls of the Zambesi (q.v.).
Livingstonia, a mission station near the lower end of Lake Nyassa (q.v.).
Livonia (Ger. Livland), one of the three Baltic provinces of Russia, forms the eastern side of the Gulf of Riga, and is separated from Courland by the Dwina. The country is mostly flat, and nearly one-fourth of it is covered with forests. Lakes and streams and marshes are common. Area, 18,153 sq. m.; pop. (1870) 1,000,876 ; (1897) 1,300,640, of whom 43 per cent. are Letts, 4l 1/2] per cent. Esthonians. The Livonians proper, a Finnic race akin to the Esthonians, have dwindled down to about 2400. Capital, Riga; other towns, Dorpat, Pernau, Wenden.
Livorno. See Leghorn.
Lizard Point. See Cornwall.
Llanberis (Hhlan-ber'ris; LI- nearly like Thl-), the 'Chamonix of Wales,' 9 miles ESE. of Carnarvon, lies at the north-west base of Snowdon, and near the foot of the wild Pass of Llanberis. The two lakes of Llanberis, 2 and 1 1/4 miles long, are sadly disfigured by slate-quarries. Population, about 3000.
Llandaff, a small town of Glamorganshire, on the right bank of the Taff, 2 miles NW. of Cardiff (q.v.). It is the seat of a very ancient bishopric, founded, it is said, by St Dubricius, who died in 612. The cathedral was built between 1120 and 1450, and is mainly Early English in style. It had fallen into utter ruin in 1575, in 1735-52 was barbarously patched up into an 'Italian temple,' and in 1843-69 was thoroughly restored. Pop. of parish, 5800. See works by E. A. Freeman (1850), Bishop Ollivant (1860), and R. J. King (1873).
Llandovery, a municipal borough (1484) of South Wales, on the Bran, 25 miles ENE. of Carmarthen. Pop. 1828.
Llandud'no, a fashionable watering-place in Carnarvonshire, North Wales, is situated on the level neck of a promontory between the Great and Little Orme's Heads, 48 miles by rail WNW. of Chester. Its bracing and delightful climate, its good sea-bathing, and its picturesque surroundings - the Great Orme's Head (700 feet) commanding views of Snowdon and Anglesey, and even of Man and the Cumberland mountains - have combined to raise Llandudno since 1841 from a small fishing-village to a yearly resort of some 20,000 visitors, with many hotels and boarding-houses, hydropathics, a fine promenade, a pier (1250 feet), a ' marine drive' (5 1/2 miles), etc. Resident pop. (1851) 1131; (1901) 9307.