Loanda (Lo-an'da), Saint Paul de, chief town of the Portuguese possessions on the West Coast of Africa, on a small bay, 210 miles S. of the Congo's mouth. It has broad, tree-shaded, but dirty streets, forts (1578), and the residences of the governor and bishop. The harbour is sanding up, so that vessels lie 1 1/4 mile from shore to load and unload. Gas was introduced in 1893, and in 1892 was opened part of a railway to Ambaca, 140 miles inland. Pop. 50,000 - 15,000 Europeans.
Loango (Lo-ang'go), a coast-district of West Africa, stretching northwards from the mouth of the Congo to about 4° S. lat. By the Berlin conference of 1885 it was divided between the Congo Free State, Portugal, and France. The town Loango (former pop. 15,000) consists now of only a few mercantile establishments.
Loanhead, a police-burgh, 5 miles S. by E. of Edinburgh. Pop. (1861) 1310 ; (1901) 3011.
Lobos Islands, two small groups of rocky islands, 12 miles off the coast of Peru, famous formerly for their guano.
Locha'ber, a district of S. Inverness-shire.
Lochee', a north-west suburb of Dundee.
Lochinvar', a little lake of Kirkcudbrightshire, 6 miles NNE. of New Galloway.
Lochle'ven, a beautiful oval lake of Kinross-shire, 23 miles NNW. of Edinburgh. Lying 353 feet above sea-level, and engirt by Benarty (1167 feet), the West Lomond (1713), and other hills, it measures 3f miles by 2; discharges by the Leven, flowing 16 miles eastward to the Firth of Forth ; is 10 to 90 feet deep ; and has an area of 3406 acres, drainage operations having reduced its size by one-fourth in 1826-36. Of seven islands, the largest are sandy, treeless St Serfs Inch, an early seat of the Culdees, and Castle Island, with the 14th-century keep of a castle which in 1567-68 was for ten months the prison of Mary, Queen of Scots. Since 1633 and earlier the loch has been famous for its delicate pink-fleshed trout, and since 1856 for its fly-fishing. The imported American water-weed Anacharis proved for a while extremely troublesome. See Robert Burns-Begg's History of Lochleven Castle (Kinross, 1888). See also Leven (Loch) ; and for Lochs Lomond, Long, etc, see Lomond, etc.