Lochma'ben, a market-town of Annandale, Dumfriesshire, 10 miles by rail NE. of Dumfries. It stands amid seven lochs, two of which contain the rare vendace, and has a town-hall (1878), with a statue in front of it of Robert Bruce, and the Bruces' ruined castle. A royal burgh, it unites with Dumfries, etc. to return one member. Pop. 1050. See W. Graham's Lochmaben (1865).
Lochy, an Inverness-shire loch, 10 miles long, through which the Caledonian Canal (q.v.) passes; and the river (8 miles) that issues from it. Also a Perthshire stream which flows 15 miles to the Dochart near its influx into Loch Tay.
Lock'erbie, a market-town, with a great August lamb-fair, in Annandale, Dumfriesshire, 15 miles BNB. of Dumfries and 26 NW. of Carlisle. It has a conspicuous town-hall (1891). Pop. 2361.
Lock Haven, capital of Clinton county, Pennsylvania, in a beautiful mountain-valley, on the south bank of the West Branch of the Susquehanna River, 69 miles NE. of Altoona by rail. It contains a state normal school, foundries, tanneries, machine-shops, and mills. Pop. 7358.
Lockport, capital of Niagara county, New York, on the Erie Canal, 25 miles NNE. of Buffalo by rail. The canal here passes through a deep channel, cut in the solid limestone, and falls 66 feet, by ten combined double-locks. Its surplus water drives lumber, flour, woollen, and cotton mills, besides foundries, machine-shops, etc. Pop. 17,500.
Locle (Locl), a Swiss town, 10 miles NW. of Neuchatel, is one of the chief seats of the Swiss watch-making industry. Pop. 12,464.
Lodeve (anc. Luteva), a town in the French dep. of Herault, at the foot of the Cevennes, 43 miles by rail NW. of Montpellier. A bishop's see till 1790, it has a cathedral, founded in 950, but rebuilt in the 14th century. Cardinal Fleury was a native. Pop. 7761.
Lodl, a town of North Italy, on the Adda, 18 miles by rail SE. of Milan. It has a 12th-century cathedral; manufactures of linens, silks, and Majolica porcelain; and a great trade in cheese and wine. Pop. 28,6S9. - At Lodi Vec-chio, a ruined village, 4 miles W., Bonaparte in 1796 forced the long, narrow bridge in the face of a tremendous fire from the Austrian batteries.
Lodore', a famous waterfall at the head of Derwentwater.
Lodz, sometimes called 'the Manchester of Poland,' lies 76 miles SW. of Warsaw on a branch railway. It consists chiefly of one main street, 6 miles or more long, and has over 120 manufactories making cotton and woollen stuffs. Pop. (1870) 39,078 ; (1881) 49,592 ; (1905) with an en-largeinent of the boundaries, 315,S00.