Lofo'den, or Lofoten, a chain of islands on the north-west coast of Norway, between 67° and 69° 15' N. lat., stretching SW. and NE. for 150 miles. They include the Lofoten proper and the Vesteraalen, lying farther north. Total area, 2247 sq. m. All of them are rugged and mountainous, many of the summits being crater-shaped. The highest point is 3090 feet. The waters on the east side of these islands are visited in January to March every year by vast shoals of cod-fish, which attract a large fleet of fishermen. Permanent pop. 30,000.
Logansport, capital of Cass county, Indiana, at the confluence of the Eel River and Wabash, 75 miles N. by W. of Indianapolis. There are extensive railway-shops, besides flour and lumber mills and foundries. Pop. 17,328.
Logrono (Lat. Julia Briga), the capital of a Spanish province (1945 sq. m. ; pop. 181,465), on the Ebro, 65 miles E. by N. of Burgos. It manufactures woollens, machinery, and leather goods. Pop. 19,993.
Loire-Inferieure (Lwar-ang-fayr'yehr), a maritime dep. of W. France, formed out of southern Brittany, and comprising the arrondissements of Nantes (the capital), Ancenis, Paimbœuf, Chateaubriant, and St Nazaire. Area, 2654 sq. m. ; pop. (1872) 602,206 ; (1901) 656,998.
Loiret (Lwar-ay'), a dep. of central France, formed out of the old provinces of Orleanais and Berri, and comprising the arrondissements of Orleans, Montargis, Gien, and Pithiviers, lies on the northern loop of the Loire. Area, 2614 sq. m. ; pop. (1872) 355,021 ; (1901) 363,812.
Loir-et-Cher (Lwar-ay-shayr'), a dep. of France, formed out of the old province of Orleanais, comprises the arrondissements of Blois (the capital), Vendome, and Romorantin. Area, 2452 sq. m. ; pop. (1872) 268,801; (1901) 274,836.
Lom'bardy, that part of Upper Italy which lies between the Alps and the Po, having the territory of Venice on the east, and Piedmont on the west. Milanese from 1337 till 1447, Lom-bardy then belonged to Spain till 1713, when the duchies of Milan and Mantua camo into the hands of Austria, and were designated 'Austrian Lombardy.' Napoleon made it part of the Cisalpine republic, the Transpadane republic, and the kingdom of Italy successively. But in 1815 it was restored to Austria, and annexed politically to the newly-acquired Venetian territory under the name of the Lombardo-Venetian Kingdom. This union was dissolved in 1859, when Lombardy was given up to the new kingdom of Italy, which divided it into the provinces of Bergamo, Brescia, Como, Cremona, Mantua, Milan, Pavia, and Sondrio.