Lombok, one of the Sunda Islands (q.v.), between Java and Timor. It is mountainous (some volcanic peaks reach 11,620 feet) but fertile, producing maize, cotton, tobacco, indigo, sugar, and coffee. Area, 2098 sq. m. ; pop. 635,000, mainly aborigines, Moslems in faith, with 20,000 Brah-minical immigrants from Bali.
Lomond Hills. See Lochleven.
Lomond, Loch, the ' queen of Scottish lakes,' in Dumbarton and Stirling shires, lies 23 feet above sea-level, and is 22 miles long, | mile to 5 miles wide, 6 to 630 feet deep, and 27 sq. in. in area. It is studded with thirty wooded islands ; receives the Endrick and six other principal streams ; sends off the Leven 7 miles southward to the Clyde; contains trout, pike, and perch ; is sometimes frozen over as far northward as Luss; and is engirt by hills and, towards its head, Highland mountains, the highest of which, Ben Lomond (q.v.), attains 3192 feet. In 1263 Norsemen launched their galleys on Loch Lomond, having drawn them across the narrow isthmus of Tarbet; on Inchcailloch stood of old a nunnery; and a cave is associated with both Bruce and Rob Roy.
London, a city and port of entry, capital of Middlesex county, Ontario, is situated at the junction of the two branches of the Thames, 116 miles by rail SW. of Toronto. It is a handsome city, regularly built; and the aim of its founders is visible in the names of the principal streets - Pall Mall, Oxford Street, Piccadilly, Cheapside, etc. - as well as of the river, which is crossed by a Westminster and a Blackfriars Bridge, and of the Covent Garden Market, Hyde Park, and St Paul's Cathedral. It has large petroleum refineries, foundries, mills, tanneries, etc.; and its white sulphur-springs attract many invalids. London is the seat of Anglican and R. C. bishops. Pop. (1881) 19,746 ; (1900) 37,983.
Long, Loch, a beautiful Scottish sea-loch, striking off from the Firth of Clyde 17 miles north-north-eastward between the counties of Argyll and Dumbarton, and 3 furlongs to 2 miles broad. It sends off Loch Goil (q.v.); is flanked by steep and fantastic mountains, 2000 feet high ; and at Arrochar, near its head, approaches to within 1 3/4 mile of Tarbet on Loch Lomond. A railway (1889-94) from Helensburgh to Fort-William skirts its eastern shore. Since 1862 the loch has been defiled with the dredgings from the Clyde at the rate of 1,250,000 tons a year.
Longford, an inland county of Leinster, Ireland, bounded W. by the Shannon and SW. by Lough Ree. Its maximum length is 29 miles, its maximum breadth 20. Area, 421 sq. m. Pop. (1841)115,491; (1901) 46,672, of whom 91-6 per cent, were Roman Catholics. The surface is for the most part flat, and the soil on the whole fertile, though extensive tracts of bog exist; 51 per cent, of the area is permanent grass. The county is studded with numerous small lakes, and is crossed by the Royal Canal. It returns two members to parliament. The islands of Lough Ree are especially rich in monastic remains. - Longford, the county town, on the river Camlin and a branch of the Royal Canal, 76 miles NW. of Dublin by rail. Its best building is the new R. C. cathedral (1840-93). Pop. 3727.