Lorraine. See Alsace-Lorraine.
Lossiemouth, an Elginshire seaport, at the mouth of the Lossie (31 miles long), 5 1/2 miles NNE. of Elgin. Its harbour was formed in 1837-39, and deepened and improved in 1852 and 1893. Pop. 398(5, of whom 2086 were in the adjoining village of Branderburgh (founded 1830).
Lot (Lot'), a dep. in the south of France, formed out of the old province of Guienne, and comprising the arrondissements of Cahors (the capital), Gourdon, and Figeac, is watered by the Dordogne and the Lot - the latter (anc. Oltis) one of the largest tributaries (300 miles) of the Garonne, which rises in Mount Lozere in the Cevennes. Area, 2012 sq. m. Pop. (1872) 281,404; (1901) 226,720.
Lot-et-Garonne (Lo-tay-Garonn'), a dep. of SW. France, formed out of the old provinces of Guienne and Gascony. It comprises the arrondissements of Agen, Villeneuve, Marmande, and Nerac, and is watered by the Garonne and its tributaries the Gers and Lot. Area, 2067 sq. m. Pop. (1841) 347,073; (1901) 278,740.
Lothian, the whole territory anciently between the Tweed and the Firth of Forth, which, from 547 a portion of Bernicia or Northumbria, was not finally annexed to Scotland till 1018. The name is now restricted to Haddington, Edinburgh, and Linlithgow shires, which are called respectively East, Mid, and West Lothian.
Lothringen. See Alsace-Lorraine.
Loudoun (Low'don - ow as in now), an Ayrshire parish, 7 1/2 miles E. by S. of Kilmarnock, with the seat of the Earl of Loudoun, and with conical Loudoun Hill (1034 feet), where Bruce routed the English in 1307.
Loughborough (Luff'borough) a municipal borough, incorporated in 1888, of Leicestershire, 11 miles NNW. of Leicester. The Decorated parish church dates from the 14th century, but has a Perpendicular tower. There are a grammar-school (1495), a girls' grammar-school (1849), and a free library (1885). Hosiery is the staple manufacture ; and bell-founding was introduced in 1840, the great bell of St Paul's being cast here in 1881. Other industries are dyeing, brick-making, and the manufacture of machinery. John Howe was a native, and Chancellor Wedderburn took hence his title Lord Loughborough. Pop. (1851) 10,900;
(1901) 25,508. See Dimock-Fletcher's two mono-graphs (1883).
Loughrea', a market-town in County Galway, on a little fresh-water lake, 17 miles SW. of Bal-linasloe. It has ruins of a castle and Carmelite monastery, both of about 1300. Pop. 2515.