Loochoo (otherwise Liukiu or Riu Kiu), a group Of thirty-seven Japanese islands. The islands extend SW. about halfway from Kyushu in Japan towards Formosa. Their aggregate area is 1863 sq. m., and the pop. is 160,000. China has made a claim upon the islands, but they are essentially Japanese. Oshima possesses a good harbour, but Nafa, the port of Shinri, capital of Okinawa, is an unsafe anchorage. Sugar is largely raised, also the sago-palm, and an aromatic orange.
Loodiana. See Ludhiana.
Lookout Mountain, a ridge extending from near Chattanooga, in Tennessee, across the north west corner of Georgia, and into Alabama, and rising to 1600 feet above the Tennessee River. It was carried by General Hooker in the battle of 24th November 1863.
Lorca, a town of Spain, 36 miles SW. of Murcia. The gloomy Moorish part is picturesquely situated on an eminence crowned by a castle, whilst the modern town spreads out on the fertile plain. Here are saltpetre, gunpowder, and lead-smelting works, and manufactures of cloth, with neighbouring silver and sulphur mines. Pop. 68,239.
Lord Howe Islands, a main island, 5 sq. m. in extent, with some small islets, lying in the Pacific in 31° 33' S. lat. and 159° 5' E. long., 300 miles E. of Port Macquarie in New South Wales. It was discovered by Lieutenant Ball in 1788, colonised in 1840, and is attached administratively to New South Wales. It consists of three volcanic ridges, rising to 2840 feet, and is cres-centic in shape. Pop. 50. - A group of the Solomon Islands bears the same name; and a Lord Howe's Island is one of the Society Isles.
Lorelei (Lo-re-li), or Lurlei, a rock rising 427 feet perpendicularly from the Rhine, near St Goar. It used to be dangerous to boatmen (through the fascinations of a siren, according to Heine's famous song), and has a celebrated echo.
Loretto (properly Loreto), a city of Italy, 3 miles from the Adriatic, and 15 by rail SSE. from Ancona. It has a royal palace (designed by Bramante); but is chiefly noticeable as the site of the Santa Casa, or Holy House, reputed to be the house in which the Virgin lived in Nazareth. It was miraculously translated, first in 1291 to the neighbourhood of Fiume in Dalmatia, thence in 1294 to a wood near Recanati in Italy, and finally to its present site in 1295. Pop. 7134. - See also Musselburgh.
L'Orient (Lor-yong'), a seaport in the French dep. of Morbihan, 116 miles by rail NW. of Nantes, with a deep and spacious harbour. It was founded in 1664 by the French East India Company ; but, after the ruin of their trade by the English, their plant was acquired by the government, who since 1815 have made L'Orient the principal naval shipbuilding-yard in France. The inhabitants are also engaged in fishing (especially sardines). Pop. (1872) 30,928 ; (1901) 39,7S1. Off this port a British fleet defeated a French one, 23d June 1795.