Louisburg, a decayed fishing-village near the E. point of Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia. There are the ruins of the old town, which was the strongest French fortress in North America, until taken by Wolfe in 1758.
Louisiade Archipelago (Looiziad), a British group of islands, forming an eastward extension of New Guinea. It embraces Sudest (45 miles long by 4 to 10 miles wide), Rossel, St Aignan's (28 miles long), and a vast number of smaller islands. All are mountainous, rising to 3500 in St Aignan's, and covered with vegetation.
Lourdes (Loord), a place of pilgrimage in the French dep. of Hautes Pyrenees, 12 miles SSW. of Tarbes by rail; pop. 9182. The town nestles at the foot of a high isolated rock rising in a plain which is bounded on the south by the foothills of the Pyrenees. Here, in a niche above a cave, the Blessed Virgin is said to have appeared on 11th February 1858 to a poor girl fourteen years old, called Bernadette Soubirous; the apparition was seventeen times repeated during the succeeding six months. A spring rising from the spot, which was hitherto unknown to exist, was endowed with miraculous powers; and many miracles were reported. A great basilica (1876) now marks the spot, and on a level with its crypt has been added the church of the Rosary (1889) for the accommodation of the pilgrims.
Louth (hard th, as in loth), a municipal borough of Lincolnshire, on the rivulet Lud, at the foot of the Wolds, 27 miles ENE. of Lincoln, contains a beautiful parish church in the Perpendicular style, built in the 13th and rebuilt in the 15th century, with an octagonal spire (1501) 288 feet in height, 'one of the noblest in England,' and an Edward VI. grammar-school, pupils of which have been Tennyson, Franklin, and Hobart Pasha.
Ruins of Louth Park Abbey, built by the Cistercians in 1139, exist 1 1/2 mile E. of the town. Iron-foundries, carpet-factories, breweries, and carriage-works are in operation. Louth is connected with the Humber by a canal, dug in 1761. Pop. (1851) 10,467 ; (1901) 9518. See Goulding's Louth Corporation Records (1892).
Louth (soft th, as in loathe), a maritime county of Leinster, the smallest in Ireland, is washed for 49 miles on the east, from Carlingford Lough to the Boyne, by the Irish Sea. The average width is 10 miles. Pop. (1841) 128,240; (1901) 65,741. Its area is 202,123 acres, of which 40 per cent. is under grass. The surface is flat, except for a range on the north, which culminates in Carlingford Mountain (1935 feet), overlooking Carlingford Lough. Coarse linens are manufactured. The fisheries are valuable, especially the oyster-fishing in Carlingford Lough. The chief towns are Drogheda, Dundalk, and Ardee. There are two round-towers, at Monasterboice and at Dromiskin. At Mellifont is a beautiful ruined abbey. In Drogheda other ruined abbeys are still visible, as also at Louth and Carlingford. But the most interesting of all the relics of antiquity are the sculptured crosses of Monasterboice, the largest 18 feet high. The county returns two members.