Lugnaquilla. See Wicklow.
Lugo (Lucus Augusti of the Romans), capital of a province of NW. Spain, on the Minho, 72 miles by rail SE. of Corunna. Still walled, it has a cathedral (1129-77), and manufactures of linen and leather. Its warm sulphur baths were known to the Romans. Pop. 19,938. - Area of province, 3787 sq. m.; pop. 466,000.
Lund (Londinum Gothorum), a city of Gothland, in the extreme south of Sweden, by rail 374 miles SW. of Stockholm and 10 NE. of Malmo. In the 10th century it was a large and powerful city, was made a bishopric in 1048, and an archbishopric in 1104. It became the chief seat of the Danish power in the Scandinavian peninsula, and capital of the Danish kingdom, with a pop. of 200,000. But after the Reformation (1536) the city began to decay, and sank to a mere village in the 17th century. The fine Romanesque cathedral, with its imposing crypt, dates from the 11th century. Lund owes its revival to the founding there of a university in 1668, which now has about 800 students, a library of 150,000 volumes and 3000 MSS., a zoological museum, and a botanic garden. Pop. 17,500.
Lundy (Scand., 'grove island'), a granitic island of Devonshire, in the mouth of the Bristol Channel, 11 3/4 miles NNW. of Hartland Point, 17 NW. of Clovelly, 24 W. of Ilfracombe, and 30 SSE. of St Gowan's Head in Wales. It measures 3 1/2 miles by 1; has rocky and precipitous shores, with only one landing-place on the south side; and attains an altitude of 525 feet. Here, near the southern end of the island, is a lighthouse, built in 1820. The antiquities include prehistoric kists, remains of round towers and a chapel, and the ruined castle of the Mariscoes (11th to 14th centuries), from whose time on into the 17th century Lundy was a stronghold successively of pirates, buccaneers, privateers, and smugglers. It figures in Kingsley's Westward Ho.'; was the death-place of ' Judas' Stukely ; was garrisoned till 1647 for Charles I. ; and in 1834 was purchased for £9870 by the Heaven family. The population is about 180. See Chanter's Lundy Island (1877).