Luneburg (Lu'ne-boorg), a town of Hanover, on the river Ilmenau, 31 miles by rail SE. of Hamburg. The 15th-century church of St Michael contains the tombs of the Luneburg princes. The five-aisled church of St John dates from the 14th century, is pure Gothic in style, and has a tower 371 feet high. The mediaeval town-house is adorned with old pictures and stained glass. A salt-mine, discovered in 906, still has an annual yield of over 21,000 tons. There are also a gypsum-mine, ironworks, chemical manufactories, etc. Luneburg lampreys are well known in Germany. Pop. 25,665. Luneburg acquired importance after the founding of the Benedictine monastery in 904, joined the Hanseatic League in the 14th c, and was the capital of an independent duchy. But it lost most of its privileges in the 16th c, and in the 17th suffered much from the Swedes and their enemies. From the Brunswick-Luneburg princely line, founded in 1235, is descended the British royal family. - South of Luneburg stretches for 50 miles the Luneburg Heath, a grazing-ground for sheep.