Maju'ba Hill, in the extreme north of Natal, was the scene of the defeat of 648 British troops, with the loss of their leader, Sir George Colley, by a greatly superior force of Transvaal Boers on 27th February 1881.
Malabar', a district (5585 sq. m.) on the southwest coast of India, in the Presidency of Madras. Pop. 2,S52,565, over two-thirds Hindus, and one-fourth Mohammedans. The name is applied to the whole SW. coast of Southern India.
Malar, Lake, most beautiful of Swedish lakes, is 80 miles in length from E. to W., and has numerous long narrow arms and offsets ; area, 650 sq. m. It is studded with over 1200 wooded islands. Its east end is close by Stockholm, where its waters are poured into the Baltic.
Malay Peninsula. See Malacca.
Maiden, a village of Surrey, 3 miles SE. of Kingston-upon-Thames. The manor-house and estate here of Bishop Walter de Merton was the original endowment (1264) of Merton College at Oxford. New Maiden is 2 miles E. of Kingston, of which it is practically a suburb.
Maiden Island, a British possession in the Central Pacific, NW. of the Marquesas. It is a coral island 5 miles long by 4 broad, and has deposits of guano. Pop. 168.
Maldive Islands, a chain of coral atolls in the Indian Ocean, lying SW. of Ceylon, 550 miles in length by 45 in breadth ; the seventeen groups embrace several hundred islands, all small, with a total pop. of 30,000. Less than 200 are inhabited. Male (pop. 2000), the residence of the Sultan, is 1 mile long. The people are closely akin to the Singhalese. They are Mohammedans by religion, and are peaceful, affectionate, and cleanly. Coir, cowries, dried bonito fish, cocoa-nuts and copra, and tortoise-shell are exported. Ibn Batuta lived on the islands in 1343-44. The Portuguese had factories there after 1518. Since 1645 they have been dependent on Ceylon.
Maldon, a municipal borough of Essex, 9 miles E. of Chelmsford and 38 NE. of London (by rail 44), stands on a hill near the confluence of the Chelmer and the Blackwater, in the vicinity of which traces are still extant of a Roman encampment. It has two fine churches, and a quaint town or moot hall dating from the reign of Henry VI., and manufactures salt; near it are oyster-fisheries. From 1328 to 1867 Maldon returned two members to parliament, and thence to 1885 one. Pop. (1801) 2358 ; (1901) 5505.