Majorca (Ma-yor'ca), or Mallorca, the largest of the Balearic Isles (q.v.), lies about 100 miles from the Spanish coast, and 150 N. of Algiers. It is 60 miles long by 40 broad, and 1310 sq. m. in area. In the north there are mountains reaching 3500 to 5000 feet. The hillsides are terraced ; olive groves abound everywhere, and vine, almond, orange, fig, and other fruit trees are common. The soil is extraordinarily fertile, and is cultivated with marvellous patience and skill by the inhabitants, who manufacture cloth, cotton goods, ropes, silk, soap, shoes, etc. There are railways (total 48 miles) connecting the capital, Palma (pop. 65,052), with Manacor (19,570), and La Puebla (5680). The marshes of Albufera (5000 acres) were drained by a London company in 1865-71. Raymond Lully was born at Palma ; at Valdemosa George Sand resided in 1838; and at Miramar is the beautiful seat of an Austrian archduke. Large quantities of lustred ware (Majolica) were exported in the 15th century; a little is still made. Pop. 253,650.
See Bidwell's Balearic Isles (1876)', the sumptuous Balearen in Wort und Bild (5 vols. 1869-84), by Archduke Ludwig Salvator; and C. W. Wood, Letters from Majorca (1889).