Malaga, a Spanish seaport on the Mediterranean, 65 miles NE. of Gibraltar. Sheltered on the north and east by mountains, and with a wonderfully dry, sunny, and equable climat6 (56° to 82° F.), this place is an admirable health-resort. The only noteworthy buildings are the cathedral (1528-1765; still unfinished) and the Moorish castle (13th c.; on the site of a former Phoenician stronghold). Malaga is one of the most important seaports of Spain, though disease in vines and orange and lemon groves, heavy octroi duties, unscientific methods of agriculture and of extracting olive-oil, have caused depression. The exports include olive-oil, wine, raisins, lead, almonds, lemons, grapes, chick peas, and esparto grass; the imports, cotton, timber, coal, petroleum, sugar, and codfish. The harbour is protected by two large moles. The manufactures comprise cotton and linen goods, machinery, art pottery, flour, soap, etc. Pop. (1900) 130,200. Founded by the Phœ;nicians, and the Malaca of the Romans, the town was an important city under the Moors, down to 1487, when it was captured by Ferdinand and Isabella. - Area of province of Malaga, 2836 sq. m.; pop. 512,000.