Malvern, Great, one of the most fashionable watering-places in England, is situated 9 miles SW. of Worcester, and 129 WNW. of London, on the east side of the Malvern Hills, at the foot of the Worcestershire Beacon (1444 feet). It has a fine cruciform church, with a central tower 124 feet high, rebuilt in the reign of Henry VII., and restored in 1860-1. In the centre of the town are large Assembly Rooms (1884) with winter promenade and gardens, and on the outskirts is Malvern College (1863-65), a handsome Gothic building, with 250 boys. Madame Goldschmidt (Jenny Lind) long resided near Malvern. Pop. (1801) 819 ; (1881) 7934 ; (1901) 16,449.
Malwa, a former kingdom of India.
Mammoth Cave, in Kentucky, 85 miles by rail SSW. of Louisville. It is about 10 miles long ; but it is said to require upwards of 150 miles of travelling to explore its multitudinous avenues, chambers, grottoes, rivers, and cataracts. The main cave is only 4 miles long, but it is from 40 to 300 feet wide, and rises in height to 125 feet. Lucy's Dome is 300 feet high, the loftiest of the many vertical shafts that pierce through all the levels. Some avenues are covered with a continuous incrustation of the most beautiful crystals; stalactites and stalagmites abound. There are several lakes or rivers connected with Green River outside the cave, rising with the river, but subsiding more slowly, so that they are generally impassable for more than six months in the year. The largest is Echo River, three-fourths of a mile long, and in some places 200 feet wide. The air of the cave is pure and healthful ; the temperature remains constant about 54°.
Manaar', Gulf of, between Ceylon and the Madras coast, is nearly 200 miles wide at the widest, and is closed on the north by a low reef of rocks and islands called Adam's Bridge. It is famous for its pearl-fisheries.
Manasarowar. See Tibet.
Manassas, formerly Manassas Junction, a village close to Bull Run (q. v.). The Confederates here won two victories.
Manbhum, an eastern district of Chota Nag-pore (q.v.). Area, 4147 sq. m.; pop. 1,500,000.
Mancha, La (Man'tcha), a district of Spain, the southernmost part of the old kingdom of New Castile, comprising most of the province of Ciudad Real, with parts of Albacete, Toledo, and Cuenca. It is the country of Don Quixote.