Manche (Mongsh;' sleeve'), a maritime Norman dep. of NW. France, derives its name from La Manche (the English Channel), which washes its rocky coasts. Greatest length, 81 miles ; average breadth, 28 miles; area, 2289 sq. m. Pop. (1872) 544,776; (1901) 491,372. The dep. is divided into the six arrondissements of St Lo (the capital), Coutances, Valogues, Cherbourg, Avranches, and Mortain.
Manchester, (1) the largest city of New Hampshire, stands mostly on the east bank of the Merrimac River, 16 miles S. of Concord, and 59 NNW. of Boston. Its principal streets are wide and shaded with elms, and it has several public parks. The river here falls 54 feet, affording abundant water-power. The chief industry is the manufacture of cottons and woollens ; but locomotives, fire-engines, sewing-machines, wagons, edged tools, boots and shoes, paper, etc. are also manufactured. Manchester is the seat of a R. C. bishop. Pop. (1870) 23,536 ; (1900) 56,987. - (2) A town of Connecticut, on the Hockanum River, 9 miles by rail ENB. of Hartford, with manufactures of cotton, woollens, silk, paper, etc. Pop. 10,600. - (3) A manufacturing town of Virginia, on the James River, opposite Richmond. Pop. 9746.
Man'dalay, the capital of Upper Burma, stands 2 miles from the left bank of the Irawadi, a little N. of Amarapura, the former capital, and 410 miles by rail (1889) N. of Rangoon. Founded in 1860, it was the capital of independent Burma until its capture by the British in 1885. Silk-weaving is the chief industry; the others are gold and silver work, ivory and wood carving, bell and gong casting, and knife and sword making. In 1886 one-tenth of the city was burned to the ground, and an inundation of the river caused immense damage; in 1892 two-thirds of the city were burned. Pop. 198,815.
Mandogarh, or Mandu', a ruined city of India, formerly capital of the Mohammedan kingdom of Malwa, 15 miles N. of the Nerbudda, and 38 SW. of Indore. The ruins stretch for 8 miles along the crest of the Vindhya Mountains.
Mandvl, the seaport of Cutch, in India, on the north shore of the Gulf of Cutch ; pop 28,155. .
Manfredonia, a seaport of Italy, on a bay of the Adriatic, 23 miles by rail NE. of Foggia. Founded by Manfred in 1261 from the ruins of ancient Sipontum, it has an old castle and a cathedral. Pop. 12,200.
Mangalore, a seaport and military station in South Kanara district, Madras. A clean, picturesque town, embosomed in cocoa-nut palm groves, it ships much coffee, has a R. C. cathedral and college, and is also the headquarters in India of the Basel Lutheran Mission. Thrice sacked by the Portuguese in the 16th c, Mangalore was taken by Hyder Ali in 1763. In 1784 its English garrison yielded to Tippoo Sultan after a nine months' siege. British since 1799, it was burned by the Coorg rebels in 1837. Pop. 44,922.