Manytch. See Asia, p. 52.
Manzanares. See Madrid.
Maracaybo (Marakibo), a fortified city of Venezuela, on the west shore of the strait which connects the lake and gulf of Maracaybo. It is a handsome town, with many gardens and squares, a college, theatre, German club-house, etc. The trade is chiefly in the hands of Germans, Danes, and North Americans. The staple exports are coffee, boxwood, lignum vitsAe, cedar, and other woods, hides and skins. Pop. 44,284. - The Gulf of Maracaybo is a wide inlet of the Caribbean Sea, connected with the fresh-water Lake of Maracaybo, which is shut in by lofty mountains, and though deep is difficult of entrance by reason of a bar.
Maranham', or Maranhao, a maritime state of Brazil, bounded N. by the Atlantic. Area, 177,566 sq. m.; population, 431,000. - The chief city is Maranham, or San Luiz de Maranham, on an island between the mouths of the Mearim and Itapicuru. It has a cathedral, a technical school, sugar and cotton factories, and docks that admit ships drawing 14 feet. The exports are cotton, sugar, hides, gum, balsam, cotton-seed, india-rubber, etc. Pop. 40,000.
Mar anon. See Amazon.
Mar'athon, a village on the east coast of ancient Attica, 22 miles NE. of Athens. It stood in a plain 6 miles long and from 3 to 1 1/2 miles broad, between the sea and the mountains, and saw the great defeat of the Persian hordes of Darius by the Greeks under Miltiades (490 B.C.).
Marburg (Mar'boorg), a quaint old town in the Prussian province of Hesse-Nassau, on the Lahn, 59 miles by rail N. of Frankfort. It is built on a terraced hill, whose summit is crowned by a stately castle, dating from 1065, in which was held in 1529 a conference between the Wittenberg and the Swiss reformers. The fine Gothic church with two towers 243 feet high, was built in 1235-83 by the Teutonic Knights over the splendid shrine of St Elizabeth. The university occupies new Gothic buildings of 1879. It was founded in 1527 for the Reformed Church ; and among its earliest students were Patrick Hamilton and William Tyndale. It has 800 to 1000 students. Pop. 18,000. - (2) A town of Austria-Hungary, on the Drave, 30 miles NE. of Gratz. It is the seat of a bishop, and has notable schools and manufactories. Pop. 24,500.