Maree', Loch, a beautiful lake of Ross-shire, 40 miles W. of Dingwall. Lying 32 feet above sea-level, it is 12 1/2 miles long, 3 furlongs to 2 1/4 miles broad, 360 feet deep, and 11 sq. m. in area. It is overhung by mountains 3000 feet high; sends off the Ewe, 3 miles long, to the sea ; and contains twenty-seven islets, one with remains of an ancient chapel and a graveyard. Queen Victoria stayed here in 1877.
Marem'ma (corrupted from Marittima, 'seaboard'), a marshy region of Italy, extending along the Tuscan sea-coast from the Cecina to Orbitello, and about 1000 sq. m. in area.
Maren'go, a village of northern Italy, in a marshy district near the Bormida, 3 miles SE. of Alessandria. Here, on 14th June 1800, Napoleon defeated the Austrians."
Mareo'tis, or Mareia, Lake, the modern El Mariut, a salt lake or marsh of Egypt, extends southward from Alexandria, and is separated from the Mediterranean by a narrow isthmus of sand. In the 15th and 16th centuries it was a navigable lake; in 1798 the French found it a dry sandy plain; but in 1801 the English army cut the dikes of the canal that separated it from the Lake of Aboukir, to cut off the French water-supply, and Mareotis became once more a marsh. The like happened again in 1803, in 1807, and in 1882, when the sea was introduced directly through a cutting 15 feet wide and half a mile long.
Margarita (Margaree'ta), an island in the Caribbean Sea, belonging to Venezuela. Area, 380 sq. m.; pop. 40,000. Discovered by Columbus in 1498, Margarita was long famous for its pearl-fisheries, but now its chief export is salted fish.
Margate, a seaport and municipal borough in the Isle of Thanet, Kent, 3 miles W. of the North Foreland and 74 E. by S. of London, is the favourite seaside resort of London holiday-makers, who, during the season, by rail and by steamer, pour into the town in their thousands. Possessed of many natural advantages in its bracing air, good bathing, and excellent firm sands, Margate offers besides all the customary attractions of a watering-place, with its pier (900 feet long), jetty (over 1/4 mile long), theatre, assembly-rooms, baths, zoological gardens, etc. It contains also two interesting churches - one exhibiting traces of Norman and Early English work, and the other with a tower of 135 feet, forming a conspicuous landmark; the Royal Sea-bathing Infirmary (1792 ; enlarged 1882) ; a town-hall (1820); and an extensive deaf and dumb asylum (1875-86). Queen Victoria visited the town in 1835, where too Turner the painter was at school. Pop. (1801) 4766; 1901) 23,057.