Mars-la-Tour. See Vionville.
Marston Moor, in the West Riding of Yorkshire, 7 miles W. of York, the scene of a great parliamentary victory, 2d July 1644.
Martaban', a town in Burma, on the right bank of the Salween, opposite to Maulmain. The capital of Pegu down to 1324, it was taken by the Siamese 250 years later, and by the British in 1824 and in 1852. Pop. 1781. The Bay of Martaban receives the Irawadi and Salween.
Martigues (Marteeg'), the 'Provencal Venice,' a town in the French dep. of Bouches-du-Rhone, is situated on several islands, united by bridges, at the entrance to the Etang de Berre, 20 miles NW. of Marseilles. Pop. 6340.
Marugama, a seaport on the NW. coast of the island of Shikokn, Japan. Pop. 25,000.
Marwar. See Jodhpur.
Maryborough, the capital of Queen's County, 51 miles SW. of Dublin. Pop. 2900.
Maryborough, (1) a port of Queensland, on the Mary River, 25 miles from its mouth and 180 N. of Brisbane. Gold from Gympie (61 miles by rail), copper, sugar, and timber are the chief exports. Pop. 10,360. - (2) An important gold-mining town of Victoria, 90 miles NW. of Melbourne. Pop. 5700.
Maryhill, a north-west suburb of Glasgow.
Marylebone, a NW. parliamentary borough of London, returning two members. Pop. 132,295.
Maryport, a seaport of Cumberland, at the mouth of the Ellen, 28 miles SW. of Carlisle by railway (1837). The town gets its name from the fact that Mary, Queen of Scots, landed here in her flight from Scotland, though it was called Ellenfoot down to 1750, when its harbour was constructed. A new dock was opened in 1884; and there are shipbuilding-yards, iron-foundries and iron-furnaces, sawmills, flour-mills, tanneries, breweries, etc. Pop. (1851) 5698 ; (1901) 11,897. '