Mauna Loa. See Hawaii.
Maxwelltown. See Dumfries.
May, Isle of, a Fife islet in the Firth of Forth, 5 1/4 miles SSE. of Crail. It is 146 acres in area, rises 150 feet, was the seat of a priory, and has a lighthouse, whose flashing electric light is visible 22 nautical miles. Pop. 17.
Maybole, a town of Ayrshire, 3| miles inland, and 9 by rail (1856) S. by W. of Ayr. In feudal times the capital of Carrick, and a burgh of barony since 1516, it is an old-world place, which once boasted twenty-eight baronial mansions, several of which still remain ; besides which, it has a new town-hall (1887) and a fine Roman Catholic church (1879). Shoemaking is the staple industry. The abbey of Crossraguel (q.v.) is in the vicinity. Pop. 5900. Mayence. See Mainz.
Mayenne (Ma-yenn'; Lat. Meduana), a French dep. formed out of the provinces of Maine and Anjou, now containing the arrondissements of Laval, Chateau-Gontier, and Mayenne, has an area of 1996 sq. m. and a pop. of (1872) 350,637 ; (1901) 313,303. - The river Mayenne, flowing 127 miles S., joins the Sarthe at Angers to form the Maine, a tributary of the Loire. - The town of Mayenne, on the river Mayenne, 78 miles by rail S. by W. of Caen, has a picturesque ruined castle (taken by the English in 1424), and manufactures calico and linen. Pop. 8360.
Mayotte, one of the Comoro Isles (q.v.).
Mazamet (Mazamay'), a French town, 43 miles ESB. of Toulouse. Pop. 13,588.
Mazanderan', a province of northern Persia, fringing the Caspian Sea for 200 miles, consists of a belt of low marshy coast-land, 10 to 20 miles wide, backed by the well-wooded northern slopes of the Elburz. Area, 10,400 sq. m.; pop. 300,000. The chief town is Sari, though Balfrush is the seat of the trade with Russia.
Mazzarino (Mazzaree'no), a town of Sicily, 15 miles SE. of Caltanisetta. Pop. 22,964.
Meadville, capital of Crawford county, Pennsylvania, on French Creek, 113 miles by rail N. of Pittsburgh. It manufactures woollens, paper, glass, machinery, oil, etc, and is the seat of Alleghany College (Methodist, founded 1815), and of a Unitarian theological school. Pop. 10,300.