Meerane (May-ra'nuh), a prosperous manufacturing town of Saxony, 43 miles by rail S. of Leipzig. From a small country town, it has increased rapidly through its woollen manufactures and export trade with England, France, and America. Pop. (1849) 7345; (1900) 23,S50.
Meerut, or Merath, a town in the North-west Provinces of India, 40 miles NB. of Delhi, about half-way between the Gauges and the Jumna. Its most important edifice is the English church, with a fine spire. Here in 1857 the great mutiny broke out. Pop. (1881) 99,565; (1901) 118,130, inclusive of the cantonment.
Meghna. See Ganges.
Mehadia (Mehah'dia), a town (pop. 2500) of SE. Hungary, 20 miles N. of Orsova by rail; 3 miles east of it, in a romantic mountain-valley, is the Herkulesbad, or waters of Hercules, eighteen warm springs, of which nine, richly impregnated with various salts, have since Roman times been used for the cure of rheumatism, neuralgia, gout, hypochondria, and skin affections. - Mehadia, or Mahdiah, is also the name of an African seaport and health-resort, 115 miles SE. of the town of Tunis ; pop. 3500.
Meinam. See Siam.
Meiningen (Mi'ning-en), the capital of the German duchy of Saxe-Meiningen, lies in a narrow valley on the Werra, 43 miles by rail NW. of Coburg. The ducal castle (1682) contains a library, picture-gallery, coin-collection, etc. The town has been largely rebuilt since the fire of 1874. It was an appendage of Wurzburg 1008-1542, and in 1583 came to the Saxon ducal family. Pop. (1875) 9521 ; (1900) 14,4S3.
Meissen (Mi'sen), a town of Saxony, on the left bank of the Elbe, 14 miles by rail NW. of Dresden. Its chief building is the cathedral (c. 1266-1479), one of the finest Gothic churches in Germany, surmounted by an exquisite spire (263 feet) of open work. The castle was built in 1471-83, and in 1710 was converted into the porcelain factory presided over by Bottger, a statue of whom was erected in 1891. In 1863 the castle was restored, and its walls adorned with frescoes by modern painters, the porcelain factory having been removed in 1860 to other premises ; 800 men are employed. Other manufactures are iron, machinery, jute, and cigars. Here is the celebrated school of St Afra (founded 1543), where Gellert and Lessing were educated. Meissen was founded in 928, and was burned down by the Swedes in 1637. Pop. 35,474.
Meklong, a town of Siam, near where the Meklong enters the Gulf of Siam. Pop. 10,000.
Mekong, or Mekhong, the greatest river of the Siam peninsula, the boundary in great part since 1893 of Siam and Indo-China, is usually identified with the Lan-tsan, which rises in the neighbourhood of Chiamdo in Tibet. It pursues a generally southerly direction to the China Sea, which it enters by several mouths in Cochin-China, a country formed by its deltaic deposits. It has a total length of 2800 miles, but is navigable only to 14° N. lat. owing to rapids.