Memphis, a city and port of entry of Tennessee, stands on a high bluff on the east bank of the Mississippi River, 826 miles above New Orleans, and 230 miles by rail WSW. of Nashville. The river to this point is navigable for the largest sea-going vessels, and eight lines of railway terminate here ; the trade of Memphis is accordingly very large. The river is spanned here by a steel cantilever bridge of five spans, with a total length of 1886 feet, and a height above high water of 75 feet, which was opened in May 1892. Memphis is a handsome town, with wide, regular streets, and great warehouses bordering the esplanade that extends along the bluff. The public buildings include a custom-house, cotton exchange, a large hospital, a Roman Catholic college, etc. Memphis is one of the first cotton marts in the United States, and has foundries, machine-shops, oil, lumber, and flour mills, steam-gins, etc. The city was visited by fearful epidemics of yellow fever in 1878 and 1879, since when its drainage and sewerage have been thoroughly reconstructed. Pop. (1850) 8841; (1870) 40,226 ; (1890) 64,495 ; (1900) 102,320.