Millau (Mee'yo), a town in the French dep. of Aveyron, on the Tarn's right bank, 52 miles NW. of Montpellier. During the 16th and 17th centuries it was a Calvinist stronghold. Leather and gloves are manufactured. Pop. 18,181.
Millport. See Cumbrae.
Milnathort, a town of Kinross-shire, 1 1/2 mile N. by E. of Kinross. Pop. 1050.
Milverton, a town of Somerset, 13 1/2 miles SW. of Bridgwater. Pop. of parish, 1562.
Minas, capital of a mountainous Uruguayan province (area, 4844 sq. m.; pop. 3S,200), 75 miles by rail NE. of Montevideo. Pop. 5000.
Minas Geraes (Meenas Zhayrah'ez), the most populous state of Brazil, lies inland from Espirito Santo and south of Bahia. Area, 222,160 sq. m.; pop. 3,218,S07. The surface rises in the Serra do Espinhaco to 5900 feet; the chief rivers are the navigable Sao Francisco and the Rio Grande, which with the Paranahyba forms the Parana.
Minch (Minsk), the channel separating the island of Lewis from the mainland of Scotland. It is 24 to 40 miles wide, and has a rapid current. The Little Minch, separating Skye from North Uist, etc, is 14 to 20 miles wide.
Mindanao. See Philippine Islands.
Minden, a Prussian town in Westphalia, on the Weser, 40 miles W. of Hanover. Till 1873 a second-class fortress, it was already a town in Chaidemagne's day, and suffered much in the Thirty Years' War, and again in the Seven Years' War, when, in 1759, the French were defeated here by an Anglo-Hanoverian army. It has a fine new bridge (1874), a Gothic town-hall, a Catholic church (11th c - 1379; till 1811 cathedral), and manufactures of tobacco, beer, brandy, glass, etc. Pop. 25,223. See also Munden.