Minnehaha. See Minneapolis.
Minorca, the second largest of the Balearic Isles (q.v.), lies 25 miles NE. of Majorca. It is 28 miles long by 10 wide, and has an area of 284 sq. m. Pop. 39,173. Its coast is rocky and inaccessible, but broken by numerous inlets, and its surface low, undulating, and stony. The chief towns are Port Mahon and Ciudadela. The island has many megalithic remains (called talayots) and stalactite caves (at Prella).
Minsk, the chief town of a Russian government, on an affluent of the Beresina, 436 miles by rail WSW. of Moscow and 331 ENE. of Warsaw. Pop. 95,048. Area of government, 35,282 sq. m., 70 per cent. marsh, moor, and forest; pop. 2,156,613.
Miquelon (Meek'elong), Great and Little, two islands connected by a long, narrow, sandy isthmus, off the SW. coast of Newfoundland, forming with St Pierre the only remaining French colony in North America. Fishing is the sole industry. Area, 78 sq. m.; pop. (with St Pierre)6500.
Miraj, a native state of India in the southern Mahratta country; pop. 123,500. The capital is Miraj, near the Kistna River (pop. 26,060).
Miran'dola, a cathedral city of northern Italy, 19 miles by rail NNE. of Modena. Pop. 13,S00.
Mirfield, a manufacturing town of Yorkshire, 3 miles W. by S. of Dewsbury, and 4 1/2 NE. of Huddersfield. It has a town-hall (1868), a parish church (restored in 1871 by Sir G. G. Scott), and manufactures of woollen cloths, carpets, blankets, and the like. The population, almost stationary since 1881, is 11,340.