Moeris (Meeris), Lake, the ancient Greek name of a brackish sheet of water in Egypt, now in the province of Fayyum (q.v.), 50 miles SW. of Cairo; extreme length from NE. to SW., 35 miles. See a work by Major Brown (1893).
Moffat, a pleasant watering-place and burgh of barony (1635) in Upper Annandale, Dumfriesshire, 51 miles SSW. of Edinburgh by road, and 64 by a short branch (1883) of the Caledonian Railway. It lies 370 feet above sea-level, engirt by round grassy hills (the loftiest, Hartfell, 2651 feet), and in the midst of delightful scenery, chief features of which are 'dark Loch Skene,' the Grey Mare's Tail, and the Devil's Beef-tub. Its mineral springs, the principal of which, like that of Harrogate, is saline and sulphurous, have been celebrated since 1653 ; and its visitors have included Home, Hume, Carlyle, 'Ossian Mac-pherson,' Boswell, Blair, Burns, and William Black. Pop. (1841) 1413 ; (1901) 2153. See Turn-bull's History of Moffat (1871).
Mogador', or Sueira, a seaport 130 miles WSW. of the city of Morocco, on a rocky promontory opposite a small island. It is the best built town in the empire, having been laid out in 1760 by a French engineer. The exports include almonds, olive-oil, wool, goat-skins, hair, etc. ; the imports woollens, cottons, glass, candles, and hardware. The manufactures are brass trays, daggers, furniture of arar wood, woollen cloth, etc. Pop. 19,000, of whom 8000 are Jews, and 200 Europeans.
Mogileff. See Mohileff.
Mohacs (Mo'hatch), a town of Hungary, on the western arm of the Danube, 37 miles by rail ESE. of Funfkirchen. Pop. 15,385. Here, on 29th August 1526, Louis II. of Hungary, with 25,000 Hungarians, was routed by 200,000 Turks. Here, too, on 12th August 1687, the Turks in their turn were defeated by an Austro-Hungarian army under Charles of Lorraine. These two battles marked the beginning and the end of Turkish dominion in Hungary.
Mohave Desert (Mohah'veh), a basin, with little water or vegetation, chiefly in the SE. of California, and extending into Arizona. The Mohave River rises in the San Bernardino range, and finally disappears in the Mohave Sink.