Montgomeryshire, an inland county of North Wales, 40 miles long and 35 broad, bounded NE. and NW. by the counties of Denbigh, Merioneth, Salop, Radnor, and Cardigan. Area, 773 sq. m., or 495,089 acres, of which more than one-third is laid down in permanent pasture, and 58,000 acres are under tillage. Pop. (1801) 47,978; (1831) 65,700; (1881) 65,718 ; (1901) 54,901. The surface is for the most part barren, and in places mountainous, Plinlimmon (2469 feet), on the Cardigan border, the Berwyn Mountains in the NE., and the Breidden Hills - some 12 miles E. of Shrewsbury - being the principal elevations; but towards the English border it consists of a series of fertile and well-wooded valleys. The Severn, with its tributary the Vyrnwy (q.v.), and the Dovey - alike noted for their fishing - are the most important rivers, whilst Offa's Dyke (q.v.) traverses the south-east corner of the county. Of manufactures, that of Welsh flannel at Newtown is the most extensive. The county comprises nine hundreds, the municipal boroughs of Llaufyllin, Llanidloes, Montgomery, and Welshpool, and sixty-eight parishes. One M.P. is returned for the county, as also one for the Montgomery district of boroughs - viz. Llanfyllin, Llanidloes, Machynlleth, Montgomery, Newtown, and Welshpool. - The county town, Montgomery, is 7 miles S. of Welshpool, and was incorporated in 1885. Pop. 1038.