Montlucon (Monglussong'), a town in the French dep. of Allier, on a castle-crowned hill whose base is washed by the Cher, 202 miles S. of Paris. It owes its rapid growth to the Com-mentry coalfield, and has ironworks and plate-glass manufactories. Pop. (1872) 20,251; (1901) 34,042. - Neris-les-Bains, 18 miles SE., is the Neriomagus of the Romans - of whom many traces are left - and since 1821 has again risen into repute through its warm alkaline mineral waters (126° F.). Pop. 2395.
Montmartre. See Paris.
Montmedy (Mongmaydee'), a town and fortress in the French dep. of Meuse, 25 miles N. of Verdun and 31 SE. of Sedan, lies in the valley of the Chiers, a tributary of the Meuse. It long was part of the Spanish Netherlands, was often taken and retaken, but became finally French in 1659, and was re-fortified by Vauban. It was, however, captured by the Germans in 1815 and again in 1870. Pop. 2417.
Montreux (Mongtruh'), a group of villages on the north shore of the Lake of Geneva, 15 miles by rail SE. of Lausanne. The name properly belongs to one small hamlet, but is popularly extended to the adjoining villages of Clarens, Vernex, Veytaux, etc, with a pop. of 8019. The beauty and climate of 'the Swiss Nice' attract many invalids. Near it is the castle of Chillon.
Montserrat (Mongser-rat'; Lat. Mons Serratus, so named from its saw-like, fantastic outline), a mountain of Catalonia, in north-east Spain, 30 miles NW. of Barcelona. Its height is 4055 feet. The mountain owes its celebrity to the Benedictine abbey built half-way up, with its wonderworking image of the Virgin.
Montserrat (Mon-ser-rat), one of the Lesser Antilles, belonging to Britain, lies 27 miles SW. of Antigua. It is about 11 miles in length, 7 in breadth, and has an area of 32 sq. m. Pop. between 12,000 and 13,000. The surface is mountainous (3000 feet), and heavily timbered. Sugar and limes and lime-juice are produced. The island, discovered in 1493, was colonised by the British in 1632. In 1664-68 and 1782-84, it was held by France. The chief town is Plymouth (pop. 1460).
Mont St Michel. See St Michel.
Monza (Montsa), a town of Italy, on the Lambro, 9 miles by rail NNE. of Milan. The ancient capital of the Lombard sovereigns, it was, in the middle ages, in spite of thirty-two sieges, conspicuous for the wealth of its citizens and nobles, and for its cloth-trade. The cathedral, founded in 595 by Theodelinda, contains many relics of this great queen. The famous Iron Crown, removed to Vienna in 1859, was restored in 1866. The town has an interesting town-hall (1293), a royal palace (1777), and manufactures of cottons, hats, leather, etc. Pop. 42,600.